Need some work....self employed is a pain! Suggestions please.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S60TEM

Reaction score
Just recently went self employed again and am just about ticking over with work that I get from my brother in law but i've only done 1 job this week and i'm hoping that its gonna improve. Now its not a do or die situation as other than our mortgage, we have zero debt and my wife covers all our monthly outgoings but the money that I make would cover all our car insurance etc and pay for a holiday maybe.

I've sent letters out to local letting agents and estate agents with only one ringing me back about some testing that has come to nothing. What else do you guys do to drum up the work?

My brother in law always gets the work but he has been in the industry 20 years through local government etc so has loads of his own contacts etc and he has sort of taken me under his wing and shared the most of the work with me but I just need my phone to start ringing too.

Think i'm gonna get some A5 flyers done and start walking around posting them locally.

Anymore ideas please?

A drive around (at a stead pace) in your van, as it is now sign written?

Free parish magazines?

Local Paper?

Dont just write letters, go in and see them if you can and try n charm them a bit. This will make you more memorable.

When quiet I pull out all the stops. As well as the usual advertising I do, I hit the phones. Builder after builder, company after company. Eventually, if you knock on enough doors some will open. If you sit around and wait the business will fail. Be hungry and there is every chance of success.

thanks guys, been chasing some leads this week and got 2 small jobs out of it but it's a foot in the door!

I'll keep you's all posted on how I get on.

Agency work is my fall back

i get a call every month from them asking if im looking for work

try that route.

Agency work is my fall backi get a call every month from them asking if im looking for work

try that route.
any good national agencies, wouldnt know where to start