New house; remove 20A induction hob, install 2A gas hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i would go for 30Amp fuse but as long as the cable is the right size for 32A it won't matter

View attachment 15432 this is an RCBO

View attachment 15434 this is a fuse holder,#
they might look the same but they are not, a fuse holder is just that a holder for a fuse, while a RCBO has a lot of tec inside that can save your life,
Hi Poni - thanks for those 2 pics. I've attached the pics of my fuses - they're not RCBO, are they - they're just fuse holders...Now I know.
OK - can you draw a quick diagram of this 20A cable, what I should attach it to, and where I plug in a RCD and where I connect the hob cable ? If you can draw that, photo it, and send me the image I would really appreciate it. I certainly don't want to connect a 2A hob into a 20A supply ...

Attachments

• 20230517_020131.jpg
    20230517_020131.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230517_020153.jpg
    20230517_020153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Thanks, Sharpend, that's a great answer - I'll wire it like that.
I'm not sure if the CU is RCBO, I've been looking online for picture examples, and the fuses that are in my CU are pretty much the same shape / size as the RCBO fuses that I have seen online ... But as you say, I can get that checked by a qualified electrician sometime soon.
You don't have fuses in your CU (and it is NOT a fuse box). You have MCBs. There is no such animal as RCBO fuses, they are RCBOs.

I certainly don't want to connect a 2A hob into a 20A supply ...
That is exactly what is done in other countries via an unfused plug. No one seems to come to harm. The hob should be internally protected. The fuse is only to protect the cable anyway not what is on the end of it.

You don't have fuses in your CU (and it is NOT a fuse box). You have MCBs. There is no such animal as RCBO fuses, they are RCBOs.
Have a look at the OP's photo of his CU Fuse Box post 14.

@New House Bloke , fuse's are to protect the cable beyond the CU from overload, MCB's do the same thing but can be reset if tripped, an RCD protects the CU and cable from residue current and leakage to earth, they will trip within 30ma fast enough to prevent electrocution to those circuits its connected too, and so protect your loved ones, an RCBO does all the above on each individual circuit. Have a look at "Fusebox" seem to be the favourite at the moment with surge protection: https://www.juiceelectricalsupplies...8BHiwwfwZtiXQPvOZNDyLHJnRxWXYdwhoCZ4oQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
That is exactly what is done in other countries via an unfused plug. No one seems to come to harm. The hob should be internally protected. The fuse is only to protect the cable anyway not what is on the end of it.
In keeping with Fusebox / consumer unit, they dont do unfused plugs, just plugs.

Last edited:
Take a look at the rear of the switch fused spur, you will see in/out, put your 20A cable in Lin Nin and earth then your hob cable in Lout N out and earth. Change fuse to 3A and crack on. It’s your house and no one is going to knock on your door to check it.
At a time more convenient to you, have your CU changed for a modern one with greater protection, for full compliance I’d suggest an RCBO board, (offers the protection of the MCB for overload, and RCD for earth fault protection in one unit)

I would suggest that many houses are still with the same protection levels that yours has in and no one is knocking on their doors. When you come to have the board changed the electrician should suggest an EICR test, and/or provide a full set of test results upon completion of the board change. At this point subject to results you should have a compliant installation.
I've attached the pics of my fuses - they're not RCBO, are they - they're just fuse holders...Now I know.
OK - can you draw a quick diagram of this 20A cable, what I should attach it to, and where I plug in a RCD and where I connect the hob cable ? If you can draw that, photo it, and send me the image I would really appreciate it. I certainly don't want to connect a 2A hob into a 20 A supply ...
New house Bloke, your answer is above, By Sharpend
as for your question about your fuse holder, you are correct they are NOT an RCBO

FWIW this is where the so called regs have completely lost the plot.

A 13A socket concealed in a cupboard for a hob supply shouldn't need RCD protection. If the CU hasn't got a RCD for the cooker circuit, then fit a RCD socket

New house Bloke, your answer is above, By Sharpend
as for your question about your fuse holder, you are correct they are NOT an RCBO
Poni, Sharpend - thanks very much and thanks also to the group for all advice and tips.
"at the rear of the switch fused spur, put your 20A cable in Lin, Nin, earth and the hob cable in Lout Nout and earth. Change fuse to 3A and crack on. " - I can cope with that. It's appreciated.

Have a look at the OP's photo of his CU Fuse Box post 14.

@New House Bloke , fuse's are to protect the cable beyond the CU from overload, MCB's do the same thing but can be reset if tripped, an RCD protects the CU and cable from residue current and leakage to earth, they will trip within 30ma fast enough to prevent electrocution to those circuits its connected too, and so protect your loved ones, an RCBO does all the above on each individual circuit. Have a look at "Fusebox" seem to be the favourite at the moment with surge protection: https://www.juiceelectricalsupplies...8BHiwwfwZtiXQPvOZNDyLHJnRxWXYdwhoCZ4oQAvD_BwE
Hi Mike - so I've looked at that page and the description of what it is (and why it's good) is well beyond my own skills ... but, now that I have a good link to a suggested CU, when I get a qualified electrician I have something to discuss or suggest etc. Thanks very much. I appreciate your input.

Changing a CU has additional requirements to be compliant, the competent person carrying out the work needs to have knowledge of the Part P legislation/notification which is, believe it or not your responsibility as the house owner, you can do this yourself, or leave it to the registered electrician through their scheme.

Changing a CU has additional requirements to be compliant, the competent person carrying out the work needs to have knowledge of the Part P legislation/notification which is, believe it or not your responsibility as the house owner, you can do this yourself, or leave it to the registered electrician through their scheme.
Simple then. This is part P. One sentence. And nothing about notification.

Part P.png

Available to collect in Torbay: One induction hob. One careful lady owner, low mileage, does not need oil, gas or water. Probably can still be used to cook food on. Fully visually inspected by myself, and it certainly looks like an induction hob to me. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: