New house; remove 20A induction hob, install 2A gas hob

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should consider a CU change, possible to an all RCBO unit.
Thanks Mike - yeah, after I photo'd the CU last night, I had a feeling that it might need replacing. I think it's from the 1990's, and does not have a RCD ? And, ideally, I would prefer a RCD. I don't know what RCBO means though ? Any suggestions to make / model / brand for me to investigate ?

Last edited:
And, I've made a donation to the group for the fantastic and immediate help this evening. I don't know who gets the money, but if it helps this group thrive, then I'm all for it. Thanks.
The money goes towards running the forum, which in turn means we are less reliant on advertising. Any spare cash goes to the forum owners who are based in the USA these days, the forum having been sold off sometime ago due to running costs and lack of time to keep the forum running. The previous owners all having their own businessess to run.

I'm an old-fashioned chef - I much prefer a gas hob to an inferior induction ! I guess that's just a matter of choice and opinion ! 😁
Give me gas any day 😃 The only real advantage of hobs is easy cleaning.

Your board is definitely rather old, strictly speaking you should be adding RCD protection for the circuit, but, to be frank I wouldn't worry about it for what you are doing. I would recommend you get an inspection of your entire electrical system, kind of MoT for electrics. The age of your board would suggest that hasn't been done for a very long time, unless it was done as part of buying the house.

I'm an old-fashioned chef - I much prefer a gas hob to an inferior induction ! I guess that's just a matter of choice and opinion ! 😁
Absolutely, I just find induction job to be utopia, very responsive, no fumes from the open flame, safer and best of all a joy to clean.
Enjoy your hob and I do know from many TV programs, commercial kitchens always seem to use gas but never understood it.

Give me gas any day 😃 The only real advantage of hobs is easy cleaning.

Your board is definitely rather old, strictly speaking you should be adding RCD protection for the circuit, but, to be frank I wouldn't worry about it for what you are doing. I would recommend you get an inspection of your entire electrical system, kind of MoT for electrics. The age of your board would suggest that hasn't been done for a very long time, unless it was done as part of buying the house.
Thanks - I appreciate the opinion. I might leave replacing the CU for a while (mainly due to cost), but I agree that a modern CU with RCD would be highly preferable. This one works ... so I'm in that usual catch-22 situation. It works, so why buy a better replacement, but the better one has the RCD and an up-to-date service history... I'll put the issue on my back burner and monitor the rest of the house lights / ring sockets / shower / smoke alarm etc ... thanks. :)

How is a gas hob inferior??
Yay, always enjoy a debate / challenge!

Gas hob
Naked flame which puts poisonous gases into the room
Naked flame gives potential ignition to other things eg oil
Leaking gas can be a silent killer
Nightmare to clean
Poor efficiency

Induction Hob
Very efficient, only the pan itself is heated
Very fast response in change of power level
No waste gases in the room
Silent in operation
Absolute breeze to clean
Operate on green energy
Thats about all I can think of from the top of my head, do you have an opposing view?

Gas hob
Nightmare to clean
Poor efficiency

Induction Hob
Silent in operation
Absolute breeze to clean
Operate on green energy
Thats about all I can think of from the top of my head, do you have an opposing view?
Can't light your fags on an induction hob 😃

Gas hob
Nightmare to clean
Poor efficiency

Induction Hob
Silent in operation
Absolute breeze to clean
Operate on green energy
I always enjoy a debate / challenge as well ! :) So I thought I'd join in :
A gas hob is much much better to an electric induction hob ! (that's my view :) )
- If you can't find your cigarette lighter at 2am, then you can use the gas hob
- Kids can see a naked flame, and be taught never to touch any naked flame
- You can't have teenagers sitting on it, or putting their drinks on it during a party
- If you need a heat source for any home project, such as melting down bullion, then you can whack your gold into any pan and heat it (okay, okay !! 🤣)
- You can sterilise tweezers in a naked flame, for when you have a splinter in your finger
Oh, and finally :
- It is much easier to cook on a gas hob !!
- It looks nicer
So, that's my tuppence of thoughts - enjoy and smile.

Last edited:
I always enjoy a debate / challenge as well ! :) So I thought I'd join in :
A gas hob is much much better to an electric induction hob ! (that's my view :) )
- If you can't find your cigarette lighter at 2am, then you can use the gas hob
- Kids can see a naked flame, and be taught never to touch any naked flame
- You can't have teenagers sitting on it, or putting their drinks on it during a party
- If you need a heat source for any home project, such as melting down bullion, then you can whack your gold into any pan and heat it (okay, okay !! 🤣)
- You can sterilise tweezers in a naked flame, for when you have a splinter in your finger
Oh, and finally :
- It is much easier to cook on a gas hob !!
- It looks nicer
So, that's my tuppence of thoughts - enjoy and smile.
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong :):):)

new wall socket that I screw to the wall (ie a spur) and simply put a normal household plug (3A fuse) on the end of the hob cable, right ?
A socket and plug are not the same as a switched Spur Unit( switched fused connection unit )
1684253653408.pngthis is a switched 13A spur unit you can fit smaller fuses ( I would fit a 3Amp fuse)

1684253824233.png this is a socket, if you fit a socket you will need RCD protection fitted,

A socket and plug are not the same as a switched Spur Unit( switched fused connection unit )
View attachment 15423this is a switched 13A spur unit you can fit smaller fuses ( I would fit a 3Amp fuse)

View attachment 15424 this is a socket, if you fit a socket you will need RCD protection fitted,
Thanks Poni - I wasn't sure what the difference was, and I appreciate the pictures for clarity. You've seen the pics of my kitchen; so if I connect the 20A cable into the back of a socket; then plug a RCD unit into the front of it (as found on EBay); then put a household plug (3A fuse) onto the hob cable, and plug that into the RCD unit - is that what I understand ?
OR - do I connect the 20A cable into one side of the switched 13A spur unit (fit a 3A fuse in it); then connect the hob cable to the other side of the switched 3A spur unit ?

no sorry its the socket needs the RCD protection not the hob cable

do I connect the 20A cable into one side of the switched 13A spur unit (fit a 3A fuse in it); then connect the hob cable to the other side of the switched 3A spur unit
use this option (and its cheaper) what makes you think its 20 Amp cable?

Take a look at the rear of the switch fused spur, you will see in/out, put your 20A cable in Lin Nin and earth then your hob cable in Lout Nout and earth. Change fuse to 3A and crack on. It’s your house and no one is going to knock on your door to check it.
At a time more convenient to you, have your CU changed for a modern one with greater protection, for full compliance I’d suggest an RCBO board, (offers the protection of the MCB for overload, and RCD for earth fault protection in one unit)

I would suggest that many houses are still with the same protection levels that yours has in and no one is knocking on their doors. When you come to have the board changed the electrician should suggest an EICR test, and/or provide a full set of test results upon completion of the board change. At this point subject to results you should have a compliant installation.

no sorry its the socket needs the RCD protection not the hob cable

use this option (and its cheaper) what makes you think its 20 Amp cable?
I think it's 20A cable based on ( a ) the thickness of the wire and ( b ) looking at the pic of the fuse box : it's labelled like this :
3 - Kitchen Sockets - 20A
2 - Cooker - 30A
1 - Shower - 30A
So, it's either 20A or 30A, my best guess is 20A ...

Take a look at the rear of the switch fused spur, you will see in/out, put your 20A cable in Lin Nin and earth then your hob cable in Lout Nout and earth. Change fuse to 3A and crack on. It’s your house and no one is going to knock on your door to check it.
At a time more convenient to you, have your CU changed for a modern one with greater protection, for full compliance I’d suggest an RCBO board, (offers the protection of the MCB for overload, and RCD for earth fault protection in one unit)

I would suggest that many houses are still with the same protection levels that yours has in and no one is knocking on their doors. When you come to have the board changed the electrician should suggest an EICR test, and/or provide a full set of test results upon completion of the board change. At this point subject to results you should have a compliant installation.
Thanks, Sharpend, that's a great answer - I'll wire it like that.
I'm not sure if the CU is RCBO, I've been looking online for picture examples, and the fuses that are in my CU are pretty much the same shape / size as the RCBO fuses that I have seen online ... But as you say, I can get that checked by a qualified electrician sometime soon.

2 - Cooker - 30A
i would go for 30Amp fuse but as long as the cable is the right size for 32A it won't matter

1684271547482.png this is an RCBO

1684271850571.png this is a fuse holder,#
they might look the same but they are not, a fuse holder is just that a holder for a fuse, while a RCBO has a lot of tec inside that can save your life,