NO SARKY MS OR WINDOZE COMMENTS!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, i was about to stick it back in and run the system rescue cd and run the repair prog from that.

Gonna shut down linux now and remove the disk & fit the faulty one, starting up another win pc to get on the forum.

2nd linux post!

Firefox btw! ;)

firefox rocks,

you could put the dodgy disk back in and run ubuntu from the CD drive,,,,,,,,

will let you run the diagnostics that way too.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:12 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:11 ----------

or run ubuntu from USB,

as long as your dodgy disk is connected to the motherboard.

Doing it mate that was the next plan, so we'll see what happens next, it is at 2% on a quick analysis now!

Will report back later!

Cheers all for the help so far.

Still very stressed!

Canoey,

Just watch for a mo, but don't go too far away!

PLEASE!!!

Things are looking a little better, a very little bit at the moment mind!

are you running ubuntu off CD then?

its not the fastest in the world that way, its only able to run in RAM so needs to do a lot of swapping in and out, USB is a little faster.

who knows, you might even decide to upgrade your OS after all this. :D

At the moment with the disk in the lappy connected to the mb I am running the system rescue cd image, so yes it is slow.

I can't "upgrade" from Windows XP/7 at the moment without changing the way I work & learning the OS which I can't do at the moment, but I do have an old desktop pc around which I am thinking about installing Ubuntu onto if I can find room to put it!

We need to have a change around here anyway as far as space and stuff goes.

That way I could learn about it when doing other things.

I can't just change my production environment overnight!

That would cripple me, as much as this disk failure has/will!

I have just been so busy trying to pay the bills that I have ignored some of the fundemantal peripheral stuff that is needed now things have changed focus here!

oh well, not everyone can be perfect, :Blushing

exchange? is that a dropbox or cloud thing then? ubuntu one ?

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:49 ----------

At the moment with the disk in the lappy connected to the mb I am running the system rescue cd image, so yes it is slow.I can't "upgrade" from Windows XP/7 at the moment without changing the way I work & learning the OS which I can't do at the moment, but I do have an old desktop pc around which I am thinking about installing Ubuntu onto if I can find room to put it!

We need to have a change around here anyway as far as space and stuff goes.

That way I could learn about it when doing other things.

I can't just change my production environment overnight!

That would cripple me, as much as this disk failure has/will!

I have just been so busy trying to pay the bills that I have ignored some of the fundemantal peripheral stuff that is needed now things have changed focus here!
joking, :)

I wouldnt expect or think anyone using an OS for business to be able to change it,

not easily anyhow,

I still keep a dual boot of XP on an old PC just in case, and sometimes my missus will need it to open a specific work file or something so she can then transfer it to the laptop.

disk failure can/and does happen, regardless of OS, unfortunately.

XP was OK, to be honest widows 7 is better. thats not saying its good.

And for all you LINUX fans google VMS then tell me whats best :)

DOS is good if you dont want to address more than 640k memory, yes 7 is vista in sheeps clothing, was crap as vista a bit better as 7

I was teethed on UNIX, but to be honest VMS spanks it

have I got this right,

is this the right VMS,

licensed under the terms of the GNU General Public License.

GNU as in GNU is Not Unix ,

and we have an arguement that its not Linux, ???????

Im seriously getting puzzled now by the arguement, GNU has no kernel of its own so normally uses a LINUX kernel.

that is just a mad arguement to even get into, how can it be better than Linux if it is dependent on it to work.

fords are better than rovers as long as you put a rover engine into a ford, :slap

I think you getting confused VMS predates UNIX, It was origanlly developed by DEC, they released some of the code out tou open source but it it far older than unix/linux or even xenix whith was the first incarnation

well the only VMS I know of normally uses a LINUX kernel,

if you have any links to something else I'd be more than pleased to read them. :)

and if it really is that old you would think that if it was any good then it would have its own kernel by now.

Latest posts