NO SARKY MS OR WINDOZE COMMENTS!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah, I know it won't solve my problem, I need a TARDIS to do that!

It is "nice" to reminisce!

I will also find it hard to move my business away from M$ software as I have structured the way we operate around that!

Without $hed loads of money I don

you dont need loads of money to leave M$ ,

you need loads of time, and then double it,

and add some more on.

once they have you hooked they have you forever,

Hotel California style, and bill knows it, so he just keeps charging you more and more cos he knows you dont dare leave cos your business cant afford to,

but,

can it afford to stay with him.?

that is the question.?

get it booted on your old PC sidey and have a play and a mess about,

sidewinder, before you do anything else I would suggest you clone the drive, if possible,

it might give you a fighting chance if it all goes pear shaped,

plus the bonus is that it 'may' repair the damaged/corrupt file during the cloning process, I dont know, but it is a possibility.

Analysis, did one over night & it found all the data but I could not copy it off before doing the repair as it was inside a machine with no other disks & I was running Ubuntu from a dvd.

I have now found that it is the primary master file table that is corrupt, the backup is OK.

testdisk will allow me to copy the data off the disk before doing the repair as long it seems as the disk is in the same machine i.e. has a native drive letter to the OS.

I have now canibalised another desktop type machine and temporarily fitted the laptop SATA drive to this and it has space on the boot drive to copy the sata data too, also it is on the network so I can copy some and then move it off to a raid before going on to the next lot.

Hoepfully it will work!!!

Will keep you all informed!

36%

;)

OK,

I usually have the drive Im trying to repair patched into my motherboard temporarily and copy onto my 2nd fixed hard drive so Ive never come across this before,

might also be something to do with running the 'LIVE' CD version instead of having it installed,

default_good%20luck.gif

keep us informed.

I only had the laptop on which to fully install ubuntu as the only spare hdd I had was a 2,5".

I did not have a frame for that to fit into my large machine.

I was hoping to avoid messing with that machine too.

Never mind, I have an old cardass I may make up a Ubuntu m/c to play with / repair disks!

BTW Steps, 9 - 0 to Ireland against the old foe!!!

Bring it on!

48%

I only had the laptop on which to fully install ubuntu as the only spare hdd I had was a 2,5".I did not have a frame for that to fit into my large machine.

I was hoping to avoid messing with that machine too.

Never mind, I have an old cardass I may make up a Ubuntu m/c to play with / repair disks!

BTW Steps, 9 - 0 to Ireland against the old foe!!!

Bring it on!

48%
blimey, it was 3-0 only a couple of mins ago, !

SW, if you have the time it can be a bit of fun to throw an old machine together and have a mess about with it on,

have a go at 'BACKTRACK' too at some point and see just how vunerable WI-FI really is in most instances, even when hidden(its only hidden if it aint broadcasting).

hopefully you can get what you need salvaged from your HDD, I have just spent a lot of this afternoon burning DVDs of stuff for the missus, no big HDD to back up to currently :(

I love backtrack :Applaud Its one reason i carry an ubuntu stick around with me :slap
I know someone that it helped get internet to for 3 months when they didnt have any of their own,,,,,,,,, ;)

I wont even go into why an Appleboy was using LINUX, :slap

Latest posts