NO SARKY MS OR WINDOZE COMMENTS!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moi ? Ubuntu, DSLinux & CentOS :slap MacOSX is very linux based, its just smoother & easier to integrate with family, ipad, iphones, msoffice etc
yep,

I'll give you that canoeboy,

if you use any of that stuff then linux/ubuntu can be a pain to get it synch'd .

someday I get a decent PC I'm really gonna have a go at trying leopard or whatever is out then, just now my computer really isnt up to running anything like that (even hacked).

Google Hack In Tosh, its just up you and Hercs alley
default_good%20luck.gif
I took my Mac Book Pro to work on Friday to do a bit of design work whilst i had an easy day, a friend sent me a pdf they couldnt print out, vista was having a usb fit as usual and wouldnt play ball, so i fired up the mac, opened the pdf, hit print ( bearing in mind no printers installed on the mac book) jobs window pops up NO PRINTER however there is a HP8500 on the LAN do you want to print to that ? Clicked OH YES, Mac then downloaded the appropriate driver and printed the pdf out in less than 3 minutes.

The printers new and it took half a day to get the vista machine to see the printer let alone print to it, the ubuntu only took 45 mins but thats because i couldnt find the right driver as HP do 4 versions of the 8500.....

I know i bang on about macs but they are EASE of USE and JUST WORK flawlessly, I have used (and still do) windows/dos for 26 years now and it doesnt get any better and is one reason for being gray ! Linux is good its just not quite got that EASE about it yet when it comes to the more serious stuff, its doable yes but not always easy and sometimes you have to dig for it....

A mac man who works for IT at a place i do alot with said to me if the bulk of IT in the work place switched from Windoze Server to OSX Server then 80% of the IT population would be on the dole que......

Jobs for the boyz in reality, bit like parliament, part p and all of the above !
I would just about agree 100% with all that,

LINUX just doesnt have the drivers for the hardware,

reason,= cos its free and the manufacturers wont release the code for free , with a lot of exceptions, HP being one of them, but as you pointed out, its a guess as to which one you need depending on your system, but at least they release the code, unlike EPSOM et al .

OK, so Linux isnt a massive retail sector, but its still sales lost, epsom or HP and a linux user will always go HP and spend half an hour getting the right driver, or

Well,

I am running testdisk again!

I got it to find all my data and let me copy it off, trouble was at the time there was no disk accessible to copy it to.

Changed set up to a new pc and tried running it again, it found data but would not let me copy it!

Trying an advanced search now to see if that was how it found the data to let me copy it.

Or at leaset I think it was going let me copy it!

I ain't got a disk that I can clone to at the moment.

Not tried clonezilla either.

Data seems to be there and intact, it just neds the master boot record re-writing with the backup, testdisk says the this is all that is needed and can do it for me, but if it goes wrong then I guess I'll loose all the data.

So I just want to try to get the mission critical stuff off first if I can.

Thanks for the help all so far.

That is looking good then if it is the MBR that has gone belly up.

A reasonably easy fix, test disk/parted magic/gparted can even fix that on an OS that you are currently using.

I wonder if you could boot it using grub?

Canoeboy may know better.

Bloody hell, my hands are killing me - I am still doing the drum roll. :)

Have copied data off it finished in the last 5 mins!

Rewrote mbr with backup, seemed OK, but machine still will not boot from drive, but it looks like I have my data, it took a while as I had to put it onto a usb disk, I only have so much kit to work with!

Will let you know later.

This might be a little late, though you may send the HDD to specialized firms, they can retrieve all the data off a broken drive, and not to much if i can recall.

Plumber,

I know that you can send the disk off, however, I felt that I could recover this myself quicker.

I had spoken to 2 of them for pricing, which varied considerably.

Mind, I do believe that one of them could perhaps have accessed the data at a lower level than the other.

The fault in the end was quite a simple disk failure mode!

It's just taking a few hours too sort!

I'm getting there, slowly, and I've learnt a bit in the meantime!

Plumber,

I know that you can send the disk off, however, I felt that I could recover this myself quicker.I had spoken to 2 of them for pricing, which varied considerably.

Mind, I do believe that one of them could perhaps have accessed the data at a lower level than the other.

The fault in the end was quite a simple disk failure mode!

It's just taking a few hours too sort!

I'm getting there, slowly, and I've learnt a bit in the meantime!
Well im sure you will crack it, hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Plumber, I'm getting there, I now have read/write access to the disk on another machine, & have all my mission critical data copied to a usb disk.

I'm now making another copy to a hdd in the m/c I'm using to fix the disk then its back in the lappy to see what happens!

May do a bit of a chkdsk type thing on it first though & check the smart data in case I have a few bad sector type things going on.

how is the disk you cloned to looking under Ubuntu?

is it still showing bad sectors?

if so you may be able to correct them using the 'disk utility' application.

hope this all works out OK for you.

OK got all my data back and functioning last night, but on another machine!

Whell that does not matter.

I am currently trying to rebuild after a fashion the existing HDD in the original m/c so I can go back to it, thus use the info mobile when I am away from base, as I am tied to this at the mo.

I am getting on OK thanks guys, once I am fully sorted and working mobile again I'll let you know I promise!

Thanks for your support so far it is really appreciated.

OK got all my data back and functioning last night, but on another machine!Whell that does not matter.

I am currently trying to rebuild after a fashion the existing HDD in the original m/c so I can go back to it, thus use the info mobile when I am away from base, as I am tied to this at the mo.

I am getting on OK thanks guys, once I am fully sorted and working mobile again I'll let you know I promise!

Thanks for your support so far it is really appreciated.
:Applaud

round one SIDEWINDER

Latest posts