Oval Conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, I would like to offer my thoughts on this and this is just my personal experience as a multi trader, and not a suggestion in any way.

• Pvc capping.......absolutely not

• Metal capping.... very rare, if at all

• Oval conduit......cheap, brittle. For thin walls such as Ash block is ideal or tiling on the other side of wall. Can be fiddly fixing but this can be assisted with grip fill behind pipe, if you have ever filled a chase and there is movement behind it, this can be annoying

• Round conduit.......BINGO, my preference almost exclusively and 25mm to boot. More tougher, more better and the bigger the glob, the better the job 😆🤣 

We use a wall chaser to cut the slot for Riser and drops. The spacer bushes that were supplied did cut a trench to accommodate the conduit, ah it fits in easily with clean edges of cut - perfect 👌........hang on 🤔 now I need to cut slots to use saddle? - not fussed on that and make extra damage.....some would stick some silicone or whatever to get it done and get home, that type of work is rough as a badgers Arse and off the list. In the end I settled with grip fill to bottom of chase full length and cleaning the residual dust first and some 3.5mm x 20mm stainless screws and plugs at angle into the walls of the chase for peace of mind. It achieved the desired outcome but not keen on the extra cost for screws, plugs, gripfill and time and the constant risk of popping chunks off randomly. Even in a complete gut and repairs to masonry are common keeping the process neat all the time looks amazing to clients, no shouting at you by muck chuckers (plasterers ;-). 

Final chapter 🤣

If you got this far, I applaud you and you shall be rewarded for you dedication 😇

We removed the bushes and asked a local machine shop to reduce 3 bushes equally so that the outer dimensions of chase was as close to 23mm slightly less but not exceed 24mm. This was done and now 😎 

Some of the boys I know also done the same.....with a grinder and laser eyeball fabricobbing in the dark whilst quick to the neighbours don't see 🤣

Now when we chase we cut 28mm on a cold day maybe 30mm on a good day and when you fit it in the walls of the chase pinch the pipe and grip it. It should tap in with a light tap with rubber mallet, and as always gripfill included, my theory is that even if the gripfill adheres only bonds to the pipe and the dust from chasing. And when cured its acting as a wedge in a sense via the irregular surfaces....

bonus points for using a white face hammer on white pipe and avoid scuffs. The plasterers appreciate that. But If your altering round profile to a new shape, this is no no and some one made a fluff. The extra value, super duper advantage is that is used with box adapters this helps with perfect level throughout. I taper the edges of my box cuts in walls, if you have ever had a hole/ gap too small to plaster and fill and close to the outer size of face plate......disaster and grumpy client. This avoids this and also helps secure back box. I would not attempt nor encourage trying to pull T&E like singles, but some one is bound to try. I hope this was interesting and useful to anyone