Overtime Rates

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Varies from job to job for me when I subby some pay flat rate for 50 hours then it's time and a third, one I worked for at the start of the year paid flat rate on all hours during the week then time and a half Saturday for 8 hours then double on Sunday for 8 hours and a couple still pay time and a half after 37.5 and double on a Sunday 

I know a lot of lads that don't get anything anymore 

I was under the impression that the later is becoming the norm, which I think is unfair, but I have to be competitive, so it's hard not to do the same :( .

With regards to the latter, do the boys work as hard, or pee about because they feel cheated??

Most tend to take the part pee, I've only ever worked one job that did that and I just refused the O.T politely and cracked on 

time and a third after 40 hours is a mid ground I'd take if I was in your position as it keeps things competitive and gives the lads an O.T rate

Well for me it depends on the job and the client.

If its work that can only be carried out, out of hours, weekends etc, then I will try and discusses a premium rate with the client which I will then pass on to the sub contractors.

However if its just a job that's progressing normally and sub contractors are looking for extra income then it will be normal sub contract rate, as I will not be getting extra from client,

Time and a half after 7.5 hours per day, 1.5 for first 6 hours on a Saturday then double after and all day Sunday.

1.33 for first 7.5 hours on nights and 1.5 after.

All travel time paid for aswell.

Why work extra and ruin personal life at weekends for flat rate.

May aswell stack beans. Traded dying a slow death as it is!!!

Do you mean for the lads you have working for you?

Sorry misunderstood!!

The thing that always amazes me is that people will pay £45 and hour for a grease monkey to fix their cars or silly money to hairdressers but no one wants to pay a tradesman a fair rate!

Suppose it would be nice to be in a position to say that's my price take it or leave it but many are not and somebody will always find a way to be cheaper. You get what you pay for in my opinion and the same goes for labour I suppose!!!

It's a tricky one I suppose but why it's tough at the top :p

Canoeboy said:
 and they like most are thankful for the work and being paid promptly
can I have more sir pleease :pray

prompt payment gets better response from most people

The thing that always amazes me is that people will pay £45 and hour for a grease monkey to fix their cars or silly money to hairdressers but no one wants to pay a tradesman a fair rate!

Suppose it would be nice to be in a position to say that's my price take it or leave it but many are not and somebody will always find a way to be cheaper. You get what you pay for in my opinion and the same goes for labour I suppose!!!

It's a tricky one I suppose but why it's tough at the top :p
people want / need a car or haircut. I still feel best way to raise earnings is full on legislation like exists for gas.

Tricky is the word, we will probably be taking on quite a bit of work in anti-social hours, hence the question. Trouble is extracting more money fom customers these days, but was thinking of time and a third, plus day off in lieu

possibly, but not by choice. Its the carpark jobs I was on about sprocket, but we'll probably work on getting in early and shutting areas down, crack area out, then ****** off home earlyish

Last edited by a moderator:
with my boss its flat rate on weekends and £1 hr extra for main trades (i get a little more as im on nmw as a labourer extra hr pay(wouldn be worth doing a 12hr shift for an extra £15 so book for £20)) for over time but its always optional our boss will ask and accepts if we dont want to with no arguments or huff n puff and normally we offer if were a lil tight or saving for something