Power analyser/data logger

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if you are looking for a previous short-term increase in demand, without a crystal ball or a time turner you are not going to find it with a power analyser now.

All you can achieve is to confirm the meter readings are ok and reasonably accurate during the time of your monitoring the supply.

To identify a previous increase you would have to have been monitoring it at the time and all that is going to do is confirm the increase.

You are going to have to turn detective on site and look for the loads likely to have caused the increase I think. 

Yes I'm without Crystal Ball also! but you try explaining that to those with little understanding.

The thing is it is a food retail outlet so no obvious increased loads, several freezers and HVAC to consider but these are constant loads? there are obviously motors and pumps at play would a failure in one of these cause a significant change?

I don't use dataview, just pell transfer (which I didn't have to make an account to download) and export them all to a spreadsheet and then do whatever I require from there (normally just a line chart of current on each of the three phases against time*)

I imagine Dataview has some fancy ways of analyising the data, that isn't necessary for a lot of the more basic uses of the equipment

*Its not often we connect the voltage references to the PEL. Most of the time its running with the CTs only as we are looking at loading only when planning alteration works

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing is it is a food retail outlet so no obvious increased loads, several freezers and HVAC to consider but these are constant loads? there are obviously motors and pumps at play would a failure in one of these cause a significant change?

It depends, most failures would make themselves known elsewhere, I'm assuming we are taking a piped system, not just integral units?

To cause an increase in consumption, something would have to cause the system to work harder to acheive the desired temperature, the only thing I could think of that wouldn't start showing as a fault elsewhere is if the condensor fans were not able to adequatly shift the heat from the coils, say for example stuff had been piled up in front of them! (Putting up "This room must be kept clear" signs in retail places, is rather akin to waving a red flag at a bull, normally) I suppose you could come up with some scenero around defrost heaters stuck on or a very slow refrigerant leak thats yet to cause it to stop completely, but its pretty unlikely.

Locked to prevent hi-jacking (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts