Product Design GCSE Project

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its still  there in business  but the building to the left has gone .  Yours truly removed all the electrical supplies  & links  before demolition  .   

The gates opposite were the Ellison factory ,  just the logo remains .     Note the same lanterns on the gate pillars . 

Factory-1960s.jpg

guje9ypa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me expand.....they are wooden matchsticks!

any the wiser now? :innocent
Ah!!   The old  missing plug top trick  so lets just push the wires in  held by matchsticks .  Swan Vesta   ..Ship brand  & Bryant & Mays   :C

I've been a non - smoker for that long now , I've forgotten about matches . 

Anyway , down 'ere  we used  rawlplugs  ...wooden or plastic .  

Its still  there in business  but the building to the left has gone .  Yours truly removed all the electrical supplies  & links  before demolition  .   

The gates opposite were the Ellison factory ,  just the logo remains .     Note the same lanterns on the gate pillars . 

View attachment 9601

View attachment 9602

I don’t believe this! 

You have bleated on for years about how industry has been destroyed in your area and only now do you confess that you have been involved in the destruction tut tut! 

Are you Maggie reincarnated? Didn’t she promise to improve conditions for miners— by taking away the mines?????

Well work is work  Sharpie   .   The building on the left of the photo  , joined by the bridge,  was   a High tension sub,   maintenance  & electricians  .

They were down to one maintenance fitter and one electrician  and one carpenter .

The spark didn't do installation only breakdowns , they used us on installs   ,  they moved the fitter into the main works ,  the carpenter retired ,  they made the spark  redundant  and  used Bob the Breakdown  instead  .

We did a lot of work in there ,  either  direct to Tufnol , or for Bob the Breakdown. 

I think they sold the land ,  its  a rental lock-up container place now . 

Bill Switchgear was next door , also long gone , ( Not by me ) Now a white goods distribution warehouse .

Picture below ....  can't beat a piccy ....  is my secondary school , ( now a rebuilt and empty University of Central England)  ..but shows  Tufnol with the red arrow and Bill Switchgear on the white arrow.   

07 - birchfield school aerial - Copy.jpg

Then it looked like this ...now its empty and will become the athlete's  village  for the Commonwealth Games , we're told .  

birmingham-city-university-s-campus-in-perry-barr-910284002.jpg

When I went on "The Tools"  I asked to get on this site  ....   " Yeah Yeah  no problem"    .but after a year at Stourport Power Station  I realised it wasn't going to happen .

Nowadays Geo. Ellison & Co. are the most unhelpful company I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with. Over the years I’ve worked on numerous panels with their OCB’s and ACB’s. If you ask for any information they clam up. The best you would get is “we can supply and install a new panel”.

Their ACB switchgear is good for years to come but they just aren’t interested. They will offer to alter the ACB frame to take a Schneider MasterPact ACB.