Programmable room stat

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was hard wired not wireless. A lot of them are designed to work as just a switch to replace a conventional stat with no neutral so are battery powered and just have a relay contact. That would be okay if the thing retained it's program when the batteries go flat. And of course it does NOT tell you that in the instructions and you only find out just over a year later when the batteries die, conveniently a few days after the guarantee has expired so you can't even return it as "faulty"

And it was not as thought I bought some unknown make, these are Horstmann programmable stat's

I wouldnt class something that needed batteries as hardwired

and surely the lack of requiring a neutral should have flagged something up to you.?

They do both, (or did a while back). Some modern boilers use 12volts but mine is definitely 230.

Sorry I can't quote the stat model number but it isn't on the front and I don't want to disturb it. Also I see that some say for "for underfloor system", and some say "remote sensor optional" so that may confuse the types even more.

I suggest phone or e-mail Heatmiser.

I wouldnt class something that needed batteries as hardwired

and surely the lack of requiring a neutral should have flagged something up to you.?
I needed something that was self powered.

This was at our old house with UFH. Each room has it's own heating zone and it's own room thermostat. But we decided it was daft to heat the bedrooms all the time so thought a programmable thermostat would give individual control to each room.

The room stats DO have a neutral, BUT the stat's are only powered {via the UFH manifold controller)  when the heating programmer is on.  So a mains powered programmable stat would not be powered a lot of the time and would look silly sitting there with a blank display.

The battery powered ones looked like the solution as the display would remain active all the time, not just when the heating was on. If only they would store the program parameters in NV memory and remember them during a battery change, they would have been great.

They do both, (or did a while back). Some modern boilers use 12volts but mine is definitely 230.

Sorry I can't quote the stat model number but it isn't on the front and I don't want to disturb it. Also I see that some say for "for underfloor system", and some say "remote sensor optional" so that may confuse the types even more.

I suggest phone or e-mail Heatmiser.
Thanks @Geoff1946

I think I've found 2 models that fit the bill,

Steps,

Have a look at Cosy kit, doesn't need the phone, but can be used with it, works in parallel with conventional stat in case it fails, and retains conventional stat as last chance.

Some good pricing from one of our local wholesalers on it, I MEAN good!

https://www.geotogether.com/

Steps,

Have a look at Cosy kit, doesn't need the phone, but can be used with it, works in parallel with conventional stat in case it fails, and retains conventional stat as last chance.

Some good pricing from one of our local wholesalers on it, I MEAN good!

https://www.geotogether.com/
Wireless tho, which is what they don't want,

I had a look at heatmiser, they do a hardwired stat that is networked, if required, I think she will go for that. Reasonably priced too. 

Wireless tho, which is what they don't want,

I had a look at heatmiser, they do a hardwired stat that is networked, if required, I think she will go for that. Reasonably priced too. 
It's both, it has a wired section which works with the existing stat & boiler, and has a plugged in bit that connects to the network.

But OK, if that's not what they want then OK.