Recording Studio

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pewter,

There is nothing in you quotes to say that CE marking is optional.

CE marking is totally different to compliance with British Standards.

If you actually read what you have quoted, they actually state that there are regulations from machinery.

If you look at the BSi page of FAQ's on CE marking, you will see in the first paragraph that BSi state it is compulsory.

Take a machine for use in a factory, this will be covered by the MD.

The MD is enacted into UK law by th SMSR's.

Regulations are statute law, think EAWR.

The MD requires CE marking.

QED.

CE marking is required under UK law.

Sidewinder I value your opinion more then the people who spoke to my friend.

What I am highlighting is that when someone was sold equipment with no markings or documents, he couldn't get back up to help his case against the seller.

It is possible to get HSE interested, but, you would have to start putting the case together for them to start on, which would involve consultant fees that might not be recovered.

Dragging the thread back to topic, kicking and screaming a bit...... ;)

Audio kit is notorious for susceptibility to earth loops, and the resultant hum - so much so that we used to have valve gear with the earth from the AC disconnected - earth came from the pre-amp, on the shield of the signal cable. did it provide the necessary c.s.a? Not a chance. But did it sound good? Hell, yes. Ergo - that was how it was done. ONE item had an earth connection - and - if you were running stereo - dependent on the config - one of the signal cables had a dropped shield at one end.

I`d like to see independent supplies - or at least, independently EMC & surge protected supplies; from different DBs - and I`d probably consider "guardian" type shielded cable ( FP would work) - for the AC supplies, rather than FTE.

Just my two pennorth