Silicone And Cable

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gembrain

Reaction score
Hi,

I read somewhere that some silicone sealants can damage the cable over time.

Can someone just point me at a Screwfix product that would be safe?

It's just for plugging the hole where the cable comes through the wall to outside.

There are so many sealants to choose from.....!

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I read somewhere that some silicone sealants can damage the cable over time.

Can someone just point me at a Screwfix product that would be safe?

It's just for plugging the hole where the cable comes through the wall to outside.

There are so many sealants to choose from.....!

Thanks in advance

UV rays from the sun also damage a cable over time........

but if the cable is fixed in place with no movement..

I doubt its going to suddenly start a fire,,,

or electrocute anyone...????

:coat

I did a bit of trawling around and it appears that acetic acid in sufficient strength will interact with PVC such that the plasticiser is replaced by the acid and (assumedly) the PVC sheath then becomes brittle or breaks down.

Acetoxy sealants release acetic acid while curing. Neutral cure sealants only release methanol.

I'm somewhat sceptical that sufficient strength acid would be released to make much difference to cable sheath but a neutral cure apparently avoids any potential problems.

R391 super gunk sounds like overkill to seal a hole round a wire :)

Cheers all.

As has been said before lots of things might cause deterioration of the cable plasticiser - if you are concerned by a particular mastic/adhesive etc. it takes less time to wrap some gaffer tape round the part of the cable that will get coated than to try and work out what is in the mastic.

The answer is a definite yes, if you use the wrong one. The easy way to tell is the sealants that most DIYers use around baths and basins has an awful smell of chemicals its the one you shouldn’t use as it will most definitely damage the insulator around wires. Use the one that states it low modulus neutral cure, no smell from it and you’ll be ok. 

Latest posts