Smartmeter install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mudassar08

Reaction score
Hi
Thought to myself this is quite off topic so Ill post here.
My mother in law electrical company has advised her getting a smart meter and it is said to take place on the 4th June. However my mothers house in Slough had no RCD protected circuits so would the installer still install it or reject it? I want this meter installed as it will enable me to track my mother in law if she is still active eg making a cup of tea.
Also would the person remove the cutout fuse to install the smart meter? Would it be the dno who would do it or just the electric meter company?
Cheers

meter monkeys are often barely even trained enough to change a meter. there not likely to understand any wiing regs of how the house should be

I've said it before but it's worth repeating. My daughters mate fits meters for EON....previous qualification/job?
Pole dancer
Does it really matter? Surely she could retrain and learn the appropriate skills? Did you come out of the womb as a qualified and experienced sparkie or was your previous job prior to training a teenage yob like most of us :):):)

I wouldn't say she was thick but she would give mince a run for its money
So not one for Brain of Britain any time soon, maybe a good candidate for next prime minister?

There is a thing called an abort, and a meter installer may do this if the electrical equipment is in a bad state , normally dno cutout gear side of things , e.g unable to pull main fuse , fused neutral type old cutouts (yes they still appear now and again ) asbestos present ect . Another reason would be the old braided tails from back in the days of black and white t v , going to customers C U . technically they are not allowed to take cover off customers C U so if you don't have any of the above they will whang it in . They ate not all meter monkeys, some were qualified sparkies before they went down the smart meter route .
Can't tar all with the same brush haha 😆

The meter monkeys only change the meters ……. And often badly 😉
I waited 4 months for an appointment with Scottish Power, finally gave up with SP, changed to Octopus and got an install date same day and installed within a week.
The meter man arrived in a Octopus van, at exactly his time slot, pulled the DNO fuse, changed the meter, installed an isolator and changed/ uprated the tails from the DNO fuse to 100A for the 100A consumer unit. Very neat tidy job.
Next came DNO man (contractor self employed) who changed the fuse to 100A, his mate stayed in the car on his smart phone. DNO job took 5 mins and he said he gets only 4-5 jobs per day easy money for him. DNO men get 3 jobs per day lol and subcontract the extra lol
I guess thats why the standing charge is so high

Yeah heard some dude got his meter changed into a smart meter and the meter monkey pulled out the fuse, 60 mins later the dno were at his door.
probably assumed the guy was attempting to steal electricity

Yeah heard some dude got his meter changed into a smart meter and the meter monkey pulled out the fuse, 60 mins later the dno were at his door.
How would they know lol that the fuse was pulled?

"Some Dude" was probably wrong then. More likely the Meter Changer reported a cracked fuseholder or something similar .

With all due respect in my considered , and some may say bigoted, opinion that is bottom water

The meter was already a smart one and it failed so the meter monkey replaced it with another. The smart meter has some circuitry that can detect tampering so the dno thought some1 was stealing something

Status
Not open for further replies.