Smartmeter install

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rubbish

How do they differentiate from a power cut?

seen it happen myself. fault inside (drilled through shower cable) blew main fuse. customer called me. by the time i got there, DNO was already there because meter had sent signal saying no power. so yes, it can happen

the meter can't differenciate between main fuse removed and power failure, it just knows power has been lost and reports it

multiple meters in the same area all sending the same signal would also give DNO some idea that its probably a network issue affecting multiple properties rather than a one off (like in my case)

seen it happen myself. fault inside (drilled through shower cable) blew main fuse. customer called me. by the time i got there, DNO was already there because meter had sent signal saying no power. so yes, it can happen

the meter can't differenciate between main fuse removed and power failure, it just knows power has been lost and reports it

multiple meters in the same area all sending the same signal would also give DNO some idea that its probably a network issue affecting multiple properties rather than a one off (like in my case)
So. DNO has instant access to all different suppliers smart meter?

Has anyone ever read the SMETS documents and understood the implications and what it is possible for the suppliers to do when you have a smart meter.
The remote control of "smart" appliances will be the interesting one when the network needs to shed load to maintain supply not heard of it happening yet but it is within the capabilities of the smart meter and smart appliances it is even possible to have selective power cuts

Yeah they do. They have got certain options such as override and abort. They can find out when your working on a circuit when you isolate a breaker. Its quite good as if someone gets a electric shock while working on something anddoesnt reset the breaker the dno will probably know you died and they will let your family know etc.
I mean there are advantages and disadvantages.

don't think its instant access in that DNO can do what they want with it, more supplier / meter operator will inform DNO 'meter at (address) is reporting power failure', and if someone available they might send them to investigate.

only had it happen once that im aware of, been plenty other times where power has failed (either blown fuse or area issue) and nothing has been passed to DNO so no response from them until phoned

Yeah they do. They have got certain options such as override and abort. They can find out when your working on a circuit when you isolate a breaker. Its quite good as if someone gets a electric shock while working on something anddoesnt reset the breaker the dno will probably know you died and they will let your family know etc.

Thats nonsense too.

Has anyone ever read the SMETS documents and understood the implications and what it is possible for the suppliers to do when you have a smart meter.
The remote control of "smart" appliances will be the interesting one when the network needs to shed load to maintain supply not heard of it happening yet but it is within the capabilities of the smart meter and smart appliances it is even possible to have selective power cuts

not read it but they can do pretty much what they want. suppliers have already been changing smart meters into prepay meters which then switch off the supply, so would also be easy to also use them to isolate various properties to remove load from the grid etc

no they can't. if you switch everything off it will know that no power is flowing but it won't really care. they also won't be informing your family etc either that no power has been used for x days or whatever

Yes they can murdoch. if you switch everything off it will know that no power is flowing but it won't really care. they also will be informing your family etc either that no power has been used for x days or whatever also if you died they will also tell your family members come and arrange something

• DE-SCOOB
Reactions: UNG
No seriously im not trolling even andy is agreeing now.
The dno are powerful mate they know what devices you are using by the smart meter thats why its called smart meter.
Gas smart meters can also monitor the amount of carbon diaxiode in the property and notify if its not safe and there is a leak

No seriously im not trolling even andy is agreeing now.
The dno are powerful mate they know what devices you are using by the smart meter thats why its called smart meter.
Gas smart meters can also monitor the amount of carbon diaxiode in the property and notify if its not safe and there is a leak

No - there is absolutely no way they can tell "what" you are using

and

No - without proper monitoring this is is also rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.