So 8th June.........

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Always interesting the perceptions of the past, especially how much influence the media has had on those perceptions.

With regards to Thatcher, Hameroon and Osboune have been very successfully implementing her ideas, This is what bothers me most as we see the wholesale destruction of the NHS, state schools infavour of Grammer schools (how eliteist is that) , destruction of local government, and the dogma behind it all. Who does it benefit most, the elite who don't want to pay tax. Now what also bothers me is that these policies are short sighted, slashing local governmant spending has resulted in overloading of the NHS which is now collapsing. Failure to invest in nurse and doctor training now means we are short of these too.

Let me give you some numbers with regards to potholes:-

budget for fixing roads £10 billion, short by £1billion per year. Cost of accidents caused by pot-holes £3 biilion per year ( money fron NHS, Police, Fire brigade budgets), so if the government spent £1 billion oer year more on roads we could save £2billion, plus all the repair costs to tyres and suspension which come direct from all our pockets.

Some more numbers from the railways:- when whoever it was failed leaving the East Anglia region with no train operator it was taken over by the state, this generated around £1 billion in profits for the state over 5 years (those figures are from memory so may be out, so lets just say a significant amount of money). This profit will now be sent abroad, 80% of our railways are owned by foreign companies, so that's a shed load of money lost, plus all the money from other utility companies and eventually the NHS if the Tories privatise it as they plan to do.

Now I totally agree we should not spend more money than we earn, but is it any surprise we are not earning enough when so much money is syphoned off to foreign companies, and tax loopholes which cost billions more than benefits scroungers ( I have to say I agree with the Tory policies with regards to restructuring the benefits system, if not necessarily how they are being implemented) are not addressed.  So going forward I can't see anything getting better under the Tory party. If voted in this time on the mandate of Brexit it will also give them the mandate to continue assest stripping the UK., our lives will get worse.

forgot to say, my biggest disappointment with the Blair government was continuation of Tory policies and the complete failure to stimulate industry, Tory light is probably the best way of describing that decade, which until the banking crash was going rather well for the service/ banking sector, shame they did ****** all for the rest of us. I spent most of that time dodging redundancy as the manufacturing base was shipped abroad.

If Theresa May does what she says about looking after the less well off, that would be great, but there's still too much right wing dogma in the rest of the party for me to believe she will ever do this, and with Brexit, she surely won't have time. Which means more austerity and selling off of state assets.

Makes me laugh how whenever that prat cameron was asked a question, he would always include the sentence "because we have a straong economy" no matter how irrelevant.. This was all based on the idea that if you repeat a lie enough people will believe it. The national debt has doubled under the tory idiots....!!!

As for this "deficit" business, Now... Who sold off everything??? Now we have a situation where everytime you turn on a light, or a tap, or go on a train, etc etc. even go across the severn bridge, is is now an "import" and then they wonder why they have a deficit????

Tories the party of business??? Ha ha, party of asset strippers more like..

You know, the other day i just caught about two minutes of some economist on the radio who had been asked. "what gives a strong economy" or something similar. He said that it was different in different countries, and that in the USA, their success was down to good management, and in germany it was down to their apprenticeships, and in france, their good level of education, and investment. Do you know what his answer was for the uk??? "The employment of low skilled workers"...

tango'd disgrace, and all brought to you thanks to the tory t***s...

john..

Last edited by a moderator:
 Do you know what his answer was for the uk??? "The employment of low skilled workers"...
Which mushroomed under the Blair / Brown years

Let's face it electricians have been moving into that bracket since the legislation they introduced in 2005

Let's face it electricians have been moving into that bracket since the legislation they introduced in 2005

What legislation was that?? [I am not an electrician..]

On the subject of housing, the big question is, security of tenure. When you had a council house, you had it for as long as you wished, and, while maintenance might not have been perfect, it was in my area. Now, the government sold all the council houses, so not people have to rent private ones. Anything affordable, will be a dump. Now, i know that there are LOADS of laws that say a landlord MUST do certain repairs, but in practice they simply ignore this. A tenant CANNOT enforce any laws, as the landlord will simply evict them. They can do this as they [the houses] are all let out on 6 month leases, so all they have to do is to tell you that they will not be renewing it. There is then NOTHING you can do..

I can see that you have done well for yourself, and good for you, but what when you are old?? what if you need care or help?? Everything you have achieved will be taken off you. You will have nothing to pass on to your kids, and what of their kids?? How are they ever going to afford a house?? Most people back in the day started off with a council house as they were cheap to rent, and then, if they could afford it, [and wanted to] could go and buy their own house at a sensible price. They cannot do that now....

john..

that wasn't a Labour policy, it's like saying the banking crash of 2009 was the fault of Labour, and if you believe that then you are truly gullible and I suspect a Daily Mail reader :^O

as for Part P, this is the only thing done by any government to try and raise standards by the enforcement of the registration of electricians, before that every idiot with a screwdriver thought he could do electrics, and quite a few still do. Shame it wasn't stronger legislation.

that wasn't a Labour policy, it's like saying the banking crash of 2009 was the fault of Labour, and if you believe that then you are truly gullible

hum... in 2005 the treasury warned the Labour Government that promised expenditure would NOT be covered by tax receipts.... at the same time personal borrowing was out of control..... 

The then Labour Government could have acted on the advice of the Treasury ... but they didn't so they do have accept some of the blame...

hum... in 2005 the treasury warned the Labour Government that promised expenditure would NOT be covered by tax receipts.... at the same time personal borrowing was out of control..... 

The then Labour Government could have acted on the advice of the Treasury ... but they didn't so they do have accept some of the blame...

What has that got to do with the banks?? It was Thatcher that "deregulated" the banking "industry" and look at all the people that then got sold endowment mortgages that despite being GUARANTEED to pay off the loan, never did...

john..

What has that got to do with the banks?? It was Thatcher that "deregulated" the banking "industry" and look at all the people that then got sold endowment mortgages that despite being GUARANTEED to pay off the loan, never did...

john..

The LABOUR GOVERNMENT could have been more engaged with the Banks and the Government could have been spending less.

You lefties simply won't accept that the sitting Government, had any part to play, or that they could have done anything - if this IS the case they were asleep on the job and therefore not competent....

Thatcher had been out of power for 26 years when the crash happened, and the 10 years up to the crash, Labour were at the wheel ........ so do they not have any blame?

As for the endowment products - sure this was a problem, but the warning signs were there, and people holding said plans were written to by the insurance companies advising them of the risks ....... and that they would need to take action ... many people didn't..... is that the fault of Thatcher too?

john..
Really a typical uninformed blame Thatcher labour comment

And if Thatcher was to blame please explain Mr Browns statement

In 2011 Gordon Brown said that deregulation of the banking sector by the incoming Labour Government of 1997 had also contributed by failing to understand how interdependent the banks were. Speaking at the Institute for New Economic Thinking's annual conference in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, USA,

I don't think the banks understood their own stupidity, so no politician was likely to either, and no one seemed to care as long as they were making money and getting tax receipts. As for New Labour, as I keep saying. they were 'Tory Light'

As for personal debt levels, you can't blame the government for peoples own stupidity.

The way TM is talking, NO reduction in foreign aid, NO guarantee to increase pensions, NO guarantee not to raise taxes. One might suspect they actually WANT to lose the election so someone else gets the blame when Brexit goes wrong?

In 2011 Gordon Brown said that deregulation of the banking sector by the incoming Labour Government of 1997 had also contributed by failing to understand how interdependent the banks were. Speaking at the Institute for New Economic Thinking's annual conference in Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, USA,

Ha ha!! Uninformed eh!! Errm, deregulation of the financial markets was introduced in 1983 by thatcher, and actually took place in 1986.. It was called the big bang????

john...

Ha ha!! Uninformed eh!! Errm, deregulation of the financial markets was introduced in 1983 by thatcher, and actually took place in 1986.. It was called the big bang????

john...

FFS

Labour had from 1997 to improve the situation but DIDN'T ..... so they HAVE to accept responsibility for what happened on THEIR watch.

What is there NOT TO UNDERSTAND?

I don't think the banks understood their own stupidity, so no politician was likely to either, and no one seemed to care as long as they were making money and getting tax receipts. As for New Labour, as I keep saying. they were 'Tory Light'

As for personal debt levels, you can't blame the government for peoples own stupidity.
All the banks were interested in was profit and more importantly the bonus pay

All new labour proved was how to make a party electable for the ultimate gain of the few ( the B & B partnership) who have gone on to make millions

john...
As you do not appear to understand chronological order I've highlighted it for you 1997 came after 1983 / 6 as Brown came after Thatcher

Your labour financial messiah by his own admission deregulated the banks again highlighted for you as part of his cash and grab in an attempt to prop up his give away economics

You choose to be very selective with your facts and ignore what doesn't suit you politics

All new labour proved was how to make a party electable for the ultimate gain of the few ( the B & B partnership) who have gone on to make millions

and what have other former leaders gone to do, oh yeah, make fortunes for themselves and family. ( how else did Mark Thatcher become an arms dealer)

link below gives full comments from Brown, and a run down of the big bang which is ultimately the cause of the financial crash and a Thatcher policy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_(financial_markets)

FFS

Labour had from 1997 to improve the situation but DIDN'T ..... so they HAVE to accept responsibility for what happened on THEIR watch.

What is there NOT TO UNDERSTAND?

Eh?? Thatchers lot were in for 18 years during which they ruined the country, [ncluding the deregulation that caused it all] then we had labour for a mere 8 years, then the current lot for the last 7 years.. but it is all Labours fault???

Who has called an election a bit quick, because they are ****ting, because the police are about to arrest 20 of their MP's for electoral fraud [which would mean they would lose their majority for one thing] and the MP's concerned could well be jailed and banned from being an MP for three years?????

Not so quick to go on about that on in the papers eh!!!

john...

actually New Labour was in power for 13years.

I think the worst thing about Osbournes austerity meausres is that they killed a bouyant economy, which despite the banking crisis seemed to be quite happily bouncing along regardless and I think would have kept going until he undermined it all and made people worried. It will interesting how history writers perceive this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.