Sockets with no RCD protection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All the publications are a rip off. I don't expect things for free however a more reasonable price wouldn't go amiss...

I can't even justify the BSi membership to get the 50% off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The responsibility for the RA is not on the contractor or the designer it is on the end user.

Fact.

Get the statement from the end user, note it as a deviation on your certification include the statement, sign it off and move on.

A quick update, my concerns were passed onto my company directors and they have taken the decision to stop all work until the customer either comes back with a risk assessment or we install RCD sockets.

This includes the rectifiers were were installing and the end of suite units, the sockets were a secondary in the end of suites and TBH we could have installed the rest and just not connected the sockets up.

So I'll be settling down tonight with a beer and relaxing, not looking for a new job after rocking the boat.

Thanks all.

Just to wrap this up. I had a meeting today with our project director who had stopped all work on this specific job.

Apparently our customer had written a risk assessment a couple of years ago but then his laptop crashed and he lost it... He was then expecting us to write a risk assessment and carry on.

What we are doing is returning to site at our cost to fit RCD sockets and make final connections etc to meet our contractual agreements.

We will then complete any planned sites then walk away and not look back.

And strangely enough there was never a written contract agreed for this work in the first place...

So it seems I have won a small victory...

Whilst I applaud your success with this and rightly so, I am always amazed at why these situations get rectified at your/our cost. How is this, the client, taking responsibility? 

I think they have done it this way to get payment for site completions. £15 on a handful of sites won’t break the bank and we’ll then receive full payment for the installation works. 

In total our profit for the whole project is £15k, for a company that this year has a turn over of £42m a couple of hundred quid on sockets makes no odds. 

They spent £3k on tooling which will now sit on a shelf gathering dust. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts