Sparksafe Licence To Practice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://sparksafeltp....2/#.UXGVIaLYezk

The site states the requirement for a "qualified electrician" should be an installation qualification and training - so who thinks that they will be deemed a "qualified electrician" and who would be classed as a labourer under such a common sense licensing system?] ]:)

Last edited by a moderator:
JIB doesnt have the same throw in NI Sidey,

I for one am going to register an interest in joining,

It may also bring about a change in insurance,

I have to have a seperate policy for working in NI, NO English co will cover NI :|

Hopefully it will bleed across,

Once it is proven to be a system that actually works,

as opposed to the "partP" fiasco we presently have here, northerners excepted. :|

Some of us don't want things to change here.

Interesting though, as NI, like some other parts of the UK doesn't have any part P. So who exactly is pushing for the change? Ah I see, someone with a vested interest in running the scheme, rather than HSE etc with a vested interest in actually making things safer.

I've asked many times but not found anything to compare overall electrical safety with part P and non part P parts of the UK, but I strongly suspect ****** all difference.

Dave, Ive just rang a mate from "back home"

It seems to be mostly 'one man bands' that have pushed for this,

Apparently being out priced by handymen,

BTW, if it works as supposed to, the assesors are government paid, will be like MOT in NI,

Only the Government can do them, NOT independent garages,.

Thats, if it works as anticipated.

Canoey, all MOT centres in NI are government, they only test vehicles, no repairs, so are unbiased,

The hope is the assessors for the licence will be the same sort of set up,

Probably AM2 assessors or similar, employed by a body that has nothing to gain by passing or failing a spark.

ie, NOT a private enterprise.

remember, its really only the niceic that has any members in NI anyway.

Again this a  typical UK fiasco , different rules in every street ...almost  !!

Part P of the Building Regs is implemented .........right.!

Oh ..but not in Scotland  as for some reason its different up there.

Oh ..and its slightly different in Wales  ....for some reason its different there too.

And now NI  ...part of the UK .but no ..its different there too.

A total fiasco !!!! 

Think I asked this before ... how does a Scottish Sparky get on if he crosses the border into England and does some house bashing ? 

Very well probably as he can be cheaper as he is not registered and doesn't have the overheads and as Scottish house prices are cheaper than down south his cost of living is less.

HHHmmmmm!!   Yes I suppose a Scottish sparks could enter England , installl notifiable work,  then claim his civil rights not to have to register for Part P but have the right to work in England anyway !!

I've never tried. The English border is nearly 300 miles away from here.

But it must be an issue for sparks in the borders.

Equally well an English spark near the border could nip across and not have part pee to worry about. If he can get most of his work that way, he might not bother with part pee?

What about Irish, or NI sparks near the border? they must face interesting issues as well.

And now sparkes either side of but close to the Welsh border have issues as part pee is now implemented differently.

Good point Dave ....  I visualise a Sparks in Shrewsbury , on the borders ,    " So today , do we go left  across the English Bridge or right across the Welsh Bridge  ...which |Regs book do we take ?    What cable colours is it today ?     The Welsh phase colours are the home and away strip of the Welsh Rugby team  FFS !!  :innocent

Dave, Ive just rang a mate from "back home"

It seems to be mostly 'one man bands' that have pushed for this,

Apparently being out priced by handymen,
ahhh so regulation, scheme providers and part P do possibly have a use (would be even better if policed properly). Personal opinion, stop knock and push harder for proper implementation.

ahhh so regulation, scheme providers and part P do possibly have a use (would be even better if policed properly). Personal opinion, stop knock and push harder for proper implementation.
I dont see how they have ANY bearing whatsoever in the skill of anyone,

regulation on the other hand only has a place if done properly,

and, IMHO, that would be a licencing system, like most of the rest of the civilised world has.

sounds good to me, I'm just of the opinion that part p is a step in the right direction even if it's a bit mickey mouse, which is why I get a bit fed up with people knocking it all the time.

There's only one winner with Part P and that's the person that get's the £1.50

Issuing an Installation Certificate to the client should be enough.

Too many people poking their noses in trying to make more and more unnecessary paperwork, because the bottom line is it's no better

now than it was 20 years ago, just takes more money out of your pocket.