Swa Termination - The Correct Way

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will simply say termination into a suitable gland, it is down to the gland MI's and the gland to state it it suitable.

Essex1 is now trying to show that pretty much the whole of the street lighting industry in the UK is non-compliant with BS7671, when it has had to be for a very long time, and he has not even worked on this equipment, and is not even familiar with the relevant sections in BS7671 which is patently obvious from his previous posts.

I am guessing the next thing will be no TN-C-S to street furniture, or no split or straight con to street furniture, regardless.

All I'm saying is that your arguments are extremely flawed
I may not disagree with you there. It is not always easy on the fly to try and prove something that you are sure is correct but cannot back it up. I will keep searching however.

I don't check what the regs say before I post then pretend like it is all in my head like snaky boy does.

You see Essex, when you have to teach regs, you have to have an above average knowledge of the regs.

Now I admit that I have not taught since Amd1 of the 17th,however, until then I had.

Also, one would expect that a consultant that you employ would have a good working knowledge of most, of the sections of the regulations.

Plus, I always have most copies of BS7671 close to hand along with a lot of guidance, and much of it searchable on computer, legitimately.

When one does a lot of safety reports, on incidents and consultancy and the like, one has to know ones subject, to a level above that of a normal installer.

Plus when one works across a wide spectrum of industries, again a greater general knowledge is required.

Essex1, I don;t doubt, in fact, I would be amazed, and dumbfounded, if I could meet your install quality/speed on site, plus, I don't do Network Rail stuff, however, I do know HM statute law, with regard to H&S for Engineering, both mechanical, electrical, and machinery, along with a lot of BS7671 requirements, other statute law and standards from memory, as this is more important to my business than being able to bend a 20mm galv conduit correctly on site.

I am a different beast these days, and I have NO DESIRE, nor to be honest the physical ability to go back to serious installation contracting day to day, my body is wrecked from doing such stuff years ago.

No you are right. I need to find the cable requirements. By hook or by crook I will find one.
While you’re looking;

Have a look for “top hat” glands and tell me what the armourings are secured with.

I can’t remember who mentioned jubilee clips for UG joints. The ones with a split support ring are great so long as you place the copper bonding braid the full circumference and then tighten the jubilee clip.

I know it is not the same, but I am pretty sure that when i watched the DNO doing LV joints that they used jubilee clips to hold on the bit of wire that links the lead sheath on PILC to maintain earth continuity.

Having said that, if i was installing an accessory that required the use of a jubilee clip, then i would be getting a different type of accessory.. Must look rough as hell.

Are the jubilee clips approved to any british standard for use as earth terminations?? I always thought that 7671 said we had to use stuff that was approved to BS or equivalent?? A jubilee clip might be approved under BS for holding on radiator hoses, but i doubt that counts!!!!!

Still BS951 clamps are not approved for use on PILC either, never bothered the DNO's though when they were fitting them. [Yes, I know that they have exempted themselves from the rules]

john..

I know it is not the same, but I am pretty sure that when i watched the DNO doing LV joints that they used jubilee clips to hold on the bit of wire that links the lead sheath on PILC to maintain earth continuity.

Having said that, if i was installing an accessory that required the use of a jubilee clip, then i would be getting a different type of accessory.. Must look rough as hell.

Are the jubilee clips approved to any british standard for use as earth terminations?? I always thought that 7671 said we had to use stuff that was approved to BS or equivalent?? A jubilee clip might be approved under BS for holding on radiator hoses, but i doubt that counts!!!!!

Still BS951 clamps are not approved for use on PILC either, never bothered the DNO's though when they were fitting them. [Yes, I know that they have exempted themselves from the rules]

john..

Exactly...

It will simply say termination into a suitable gland, it is down to the gland MI's and the gland to state it it suitable.

Essex1 is now trying to show that pretty much the whole of the street lighting industry in the UK is non-compliant with BS7671, when it has had to be for a very long time, and he has not even worked on this equipment, and is not even familiar with the relevant sections in BS7671 which is patently obvious from his previous posts.

I am guessing the next thing will be no TN-C-S to street furniture, or no split or straight con to street furniture, regardless.

used split con a lot when i was working on street lighting. i guess i must have been doing that wrong too. and a lot were TNCS

I am not having SWA cables being terminated by a jubilee clip as OK. Dog poo of a termination IMO.
just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong. i dont like some other people wiring methods either, but providing its compliant then so be it

Last edited by a moderator:

john..
Not on their own but with suitable armouring support they meet manufactures specification and therefore conformity.

DNO’s use Hepworth clamps or constant force springs on PILC, both with a flexible braid to the MET.

Not on their own but with suitable armouring support they meet manufactures specification and therefore conformity.

DNO’s use Hepworth clamps or constant force springs on PILC, both with a flexible braid to the MET.
I Have never been impressed with Jubilee Clips, never really been impressed with CF springs.....BUT, if that is what comes with the kit then that is what I Use!

Why?.....because my insurance is worth it

I’ve some 3.3KV through joints to do in the late spring. I will specify cast resin joints with armour support rings and jubilee clips for several reasons:

Stress relief.

Armour continuity across the joint.

The ability to fit PME electrodes at each through joint. 

pic from a while back. SWA was put in place for photo, if the jubilee clip looks loose thats because it wasnt tightened. it would also usually be a 2c at least 6mm, usually 10 or 16

used split con a lot when i was working on street lighting. i guess i must have been doing that wrong too. and a lot were TNCS

just because you dont like it doesnt mean its wrong. i dont like some other people wiring methods either, but providing its compliant then so be it
Or use this equipment and terminate the SWA cable properly.

image.jpeg

I don’t know who “de-scoobed” Andy’s post but I’ve put it right.

The gland is designed for jubilee clips and despite what others may think it is “to manufacturers specification” therefore compliant.

I’ll admit that isn’t a type of gland I’ve come across before. I’ve seen many like it, some dating from the thirties.

A “top hat” gland is now heat sleeved, the early ones used cotton tape sealed with tallow. 

Or use this equipment and terminate the SWA cable properly.
that lucy cutout is designed for flex / split con type cable to be pushed through the seal which is cut to correct size. it does not have a suitable plate to gland a SWA to. id like to see you put a proper SWA gland into one of those though, there is your challenge

Anyone who thinks the DNO have not [i did not say still do] used BS951 clamps on household supplies as a means of providing an earth terminal, has clearly not been in many houses in southwales that the DNO tinkered with in the 1980's..

john..

that lucy cutout is designed for flex / split con type cable to be pushed through the seal which is cut to correct size. it does not have a suitable plate to gland a SWA to. id like to see you put a proper SWA gland into one of those though, there is your challenge
No. You can order any size plate as a separate part to suit separate size SWA cables. Just done 55 of them at Basingstoke. The cone grommets remove and leave you a nice hole sized to suit SWA.

SWA into a plastic plate... id rather have the nice brass plate. of course, the threaded bit on the tofco is screwed into a 20mm hole. if you wanted to, you could remove that leaving you with the brass plate and fit a SWA gland into it