Tesco Maintenance Engineers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsalam

Reaction score
Hi, has anyone on the forum worked for Tesco Maintenance before as a technician or engineer?

Just had a question around vans that they give and whether they have automatic transmission?

Thanks

That’s what I assumed but when I applied they did a dvla check on my licence and I have an only automatic licence. Do you think they could have overweighted this ?

if you're licence is restricted to auto then that's your problem, not tesco's

as a side not, if you have a auto only restircation and you're driving a manual vehicle now, that's driving without a licence, and your insurance its probably also invalid

did you pass your test in an auto or manual?

Hi Andy, I passed on auto.

I understand but I disclosed all this at the beggining of my application. They did a dvla check which shows the restrictions on my licence and I was still offered the job. That’s why I’m wondering if they issue automatics because why would they proceed with me? Unless oversight ?

Hi Andy, I passed on auto.

I understand but I disclosed all this at the beggining of my application. They did a dvla check which shows the restrictions on my licence and I was still offered the job. That’s why I’m wondering if they issue automatics because why would they proceed with me? Unless oversight ?

if they were informed of that when you applied and then again when they checked your licence that's it does appear to be their problem if they try to give you a manual that you are not allowed to drive. no idea what you will get though, they may have auto's and are aware and one has been allocated to you. guess you'll find out when you get the keys

it may also state in your contract you need a full licence, you don't have one if you have restrictions, so could be an issue

long term you would be best doing your test in a manual and then you have no restrictions

if they were informed of that when you applied and then again when they checked your licence that's it does appear to be their problem if they try to give you a manual that you are not allowed to drive. no idea what you will get though, they may have auto's and are aware and one has been allocated to you. guess you'll find out when you get the keys

it may also state in your contract you need a full licence, you don't have one if you have restrictions, so could be an issue

long term you would be best doing your test in a manual and then you have no restrictions
Yes, but even if they DID make a mistake, they are under no obligation whatsoever to give someone a job. Even if they issued a contract, means nothing, as they can just as soon fire you. will make no difference to them..

What is the chance they give out electric vans though?? They are autos [i think]

john..

yes, they can sack anyone, however at least he would have some leverage of 'i told you, you ignored it'. probably won't change anything though

i think all EV's are auto, although i have seen some conversions (usually american / other part of the world) where the motor replaces engine but not gearbox so would still be manual

So are the only auto transmission vans out there electric ones ?

They did state you need a full uk licence but I am sure that an auto still classed as a UK full licence.

Yes, but even if they DID make a mistake, they are under no obligation whatsoever to give someone a job. Even if they issued a contract, means nothing, as they can just as soon fire you. will make no difference to them..

What is the chance they give out electric vans though?? They are autos [i think]

john..
Yep all EV's are auto's in fact theres only Porsche that has 2 speed gearbox, none of the others do to my knowledge.

So are the only auto transmission vans out there electric ones ?
Nope there are loads of ICE Auto vans around, I operated 3 x LWB transits in my I.T. business 15 years ago.

They did state you need a full uk licence but I am sure that an auto still classed as a UK full licence.
I agree with you, it is a full licence not a provisional one.

This is one of the problems of what recruiters actually want or need the applicant to have and in this case it demonstrates their ignorance of the various options and permutations a UK driving licence can have

This is one of the problems of what recruiters actually want or need the applicant to have and in this case it demonstrates their ignorance of the various options and permutations a UK driving licence can have
The thing is it wasn’t clear and then even going through all the stages of the job there were numerous opportunities to pick this up. Especially the dvla check they did.

I don’t know, I’m worried they will turn around and sack me. Especially that I’ve given in my notice and left my previous job so will end up pretty messed up.

The thing is it wasn’t clear and then even going through all the stages of the job there were numerous opportunities to pick this up. Especially the dvla check they did.

I don’t know, I’m worried they will turn around and sack me. Especially that I’ve given in my notice and left my previous job so will end up pretty messed up.
They may offer to allow you time and possibly pay for you to get your manual licence if you need to have a manual licence you never know how it will pan out until you start. I would think for the first month or 2 you will be shadowing someone to get some familiarisation with the work you are expected to do so you will probably have time to get a manual licence

I would look into getting a manual licence now, that way any questions/query you can say, "oh, its ok, I am doing my manual test in x weeks"

More information about the test can be found if you Click me

It's not so easy as to just take a manual test, a lot will depend on how long ago the OP passed his auto test and what his standard of driving is like. Things have changed at a pace in driving tests over the last few years.

tell them now before you hand in your notice, they will find out anyway, so tell now when you can change things,

as it's in the contract you get a van

you will most likely get a van on day one

, I assumed but when I applied they did a dvla check on my licence
they might not have checked yet, sometimes this is outsourced,
they could have been only looking for points or if you were banded ,
but why did you apply for the job if you did not meet the criteria they were asking for anyway?

Agreed...
A Provisional driving licence is for someone who has never passed a driving test and is NOT legally allowed to drive ANY vehicle unsupervised.

If you have passed a UK driving test and are allowed to drive "UNSUPERVISED" you have a "FULL" driving licence...

The category of vehicles you can drive is a completely different ball game altogether in my opinion!

e.g. Vans Trucks over a certain weight.
Towing trailers over a certain weight.
Vehicles that can carry over a certain amount of passengers..
(e.g. I am sure with a Bog-Standard car driving licence you can also drive a bus.. as long as there are below a specified minimum number of passengers!!)

You do NOT need to be able to drive EVERY category of vehicle to have a "Full Driving Licence"!

Full -vs- Provisional is about if you are legally allowed to drive on the public highway without a supervisor/instructor watching over you!!

Unless the job application specifically stated "Manual Transmission" then I think you are in a very strong place to argue your case and insist they provide an automatic vehicle so as to not discriminate you from other applicants.. equal rights and all that!

Latest posts