Tesco Maintenance Engineers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I applied for the job as it stated Full Driving Licence required. Didn’t specify auto or manual.

Thanks for all the info and advice. I have informed them. Will most likely find out today, will keep thread updated with what happens.

tell them now before you hand in your notice, they will find out anyway, so tell now when you can change things,

as it's in the contract you get a van

you will most likely get a van on day one

they might not have checked yet, sometimes this is outsourced,
they could have been only looking for points or if you were banded ,
but why did you apply for the job if you did not meet the criteria they were asking for anyway?
I meant I handed in notice and lost my previous job now that I’m in this one. That’s a worry of mine that at the end of this I’ll end up jobless and they will get rid of me because of an oversight possibly.

If they use a DVLA company external to do checks, I would of assumed that would of raised flags when insuring me on a let’s say manual van because of my licence restrictions but hey ho nothings that simple.

I meant I handed in notice and lost my previous job now that I’m in this one. That’s a worry of mine that at the end of this I’ll end up jobless and they will get rid of me because of an oversight possibly
Chances are they are short of staff and will find a 'work around' until you can get a suitable licence. Auto vans are around, they are popular for motorhomes. Usually they are bigger vans like Fiat Ducatos, or Peugeot Boxers. There's also a chance Tesco maybe going electric to promote their green credentials.

Chances are they are short of staff and will find a 'work around' until you can get a suitable licence. Auto vans are around, they are popular for motorhomes. Usually they are bigger vans like Fiat Ducatos, or Peugeot Boxers. There's also a chance Tesco maybe going electric to promote their green credentials.
Ford Transit, VW T6 etc all available in auto.

If it's a problem maybe nsalam could have a mileage allowance instead and provide his own transport?

So I never got much of an update today. Spoke to my line manager and informed them of my auto licence. Manager said that the assumption would be the fleet team would have ordered me an auto transmission after the dvla check. They will contact the fleet team to let them know but that’s all I know for now.

So I never got much of an update today. Spoke to my line manager and informed them of my auto licence. Manager said that the assumption would be the fleet team would have ordered me an auto transmission after the dvla check. They will contact the fleet team to let them know but that’s all I know for now.
That's interesting, so you're not the first troublemaker 😁😁😁

Being a big company I would expect it's not the first time they have encountered this issue, and it sounds like they have solutions in place.

Thats good news, obviously theyve had the situation before and nice shiny new auto van heading your way.

So I finally got some answers and it’s good news. Auto Van will be available to collect in a couple weeks.

Just want to say thank you for all the advice given to me, really kept me hopeful. Thank you.