The EU Referendum

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is exactly how the EU has developed. To make the trading easier they have been trying to make laws the same in each country to create a homogenous single market. It's not a bad idea but does make the EU civil service the ultimate power.....

The common market, or the EEC was working really well until the Euro came into being...... So they tried to fix something that wasn't broken!

The common market, or the EEC was working really well until the Euro came into being...... So they tried to fix something that wasn't broken!
the point of the Euro was to save all the transaction costs converting currencies, about £60billion a year from memory, money that could then go back into the economy to do something more useful than pay banking charges. I have to say the Euro makes travelling quite easy around Europe.

the point of the Euro was to save all the transaction costs converting currencies, about £60billion a year from memory, money that could then go back into the economy to do something more useful than pay banking charges. I have to say the Euro makes travelling quite easy around Europe.

Which is fine if all the economies are about equal. The problem is when some countries hit harder times than others. Southern Europe has a 50% unemployment rate for the young and I think the Euro has a huge part to play in this. 

People that argue the EU has done wonders for employees rights need to have their head examined. Or send their kids to Greece, Italy or Spain to see if they still think the same after 12 months. 

Wasn't it obvious from the outset that the whole would only be as strong as the weakest ??

Hit, nail and head spring to mind.

I think they worked this out as it would keep the Euro weak.

If the Germans still had their own currency, and ran the surplus they have their experts would be far more expensive.

The Chinese are in the same position, float their currency properly and their exports would be more expensive.

Which is fine if all the economies are about equal. The problem is when some countries hit harder times than others. Southern Europe has a 50% unemployment rate for the young and I think the Euro has a huge part to play in this. 

People that argue the EU has done wonders for employees rights need to have their head examined. Or send their kids to Greece, Italy or Spain to see if they still think the same after 12 months. 

The mistake made was political, ie letting countries join that didn't meet the standards required. Now these countries are saddled to strong economies like Germany, and where as they previuosly would have devalued their currency making imports dearer and exports cheaper, which in turn would have stimulated their economies, they are stuck with high unemployment etc etc. This is also part of my argument for leaving the EU, we can't be dynamic enough to suite our own needs.

I can honestly say, hand on heart I don't know anybody in my social circle or at work who wants to remain. Saying that I haven't really sought out and discussed it with any "foreigners".

I can honestly say, hand on heart I don't know anybody in my social circle or at work who wants to remain. Saying that I haven't really sought out and discussed it with any "foreigners".

My misses cannot vote but she would vote to leave. Lady in the office was born in Moldova but now has British citizenship and she is voting to leave. 

I would say my split is about 70/30 to leave. 

The reality is IMO that only those with a vested interest would want to remain such as multinational companies, politicians (or soon to be retiring leaders?). Seeing as most of the economy is operated by sme's then why would there be any other vote than leave? But I'll bet we remain regardless of the vote. 

Latest posts