UK Debt Collection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of interest, does anyone / has anyone ever used a debt recovery service to try and get money in from Joe Public? I have someone who I did a very small job for on call-out and when it came to paying they said their cheque book had run out and could they post payment. Still nothing has arrived despite reminders etc. It is only a small amount of money but I think it is principle that I go after the debt as I hate people thinking they can mug me off. The wife / accountant has begged me not to go down my preferred route which involves a little intimidation when visiting and go through the correct channels. In the past I have taken people to county court, but this debt is so small it wouldn't be worth it so I would rather pass it to an organisation who will chase for a small fee.

go to there place of work and remind them of there lack of payment, in a loud mannor, embarrass them in front of work mates

Im being stitched up for 280quid from a landlord I've never met, might have to refer it to that company

No need for intimidation... :innocent

why not knock on his door when hes at work..

his wife wilol answer and just ask for payment nicely

tell her that you will be back tomorrow for payment cash

turn up no payment ????

back the next day and the next and the next and the next

not intimidation just persistance.

your getting it in the neck from wife so why not him get it in the neck from his wife...

I was in a similar situation a few year back while undertaking work for a GP who refused to pay and like your good self as a matter of principle I decided to take this further. I used these guys below as they were recommended by the competent persons scheme I am in and they drafted a solicitors letter for me and i think at the time it cost about

Just remeber guys (and Gals!!) if you go down the intimidation route and subsequently go to court, any evidence of intimidating behaeviour will go down very badly with the Judge - you may lose a bona-fide case because of this.

You are at liberty to sieze items to the value as a lien, maybe a motorbike??? cycle etc as long as no intimidation took part.

Keep a diary of all contact, copies of letters etc, and send these recorded.

failing that i have a load of mates who are all second row at the local rugby club who hate to see anyone ripped off!!!!!

Hmm, as nightclub doorman, 18 stone and proficient at MMA (and with 30 doormen at my disposal) getting physical would be too easy. I need to ensure that as we are a small community here, my rep isn't tarnished because I applied 'leverage' to a client. Softly softly I guess. Check back in a week though and ask me if I went 'hulk like' ROTFWL

I only once had a really bad payer who made all sorts of excuses, like "I posted the cheque this morning" (meaning you had to then give him a few more days to see if he was telling the truth)

In the end I phoned him and left a message on his answer-phone saying if I've not been paid by the end of the week I will hand the matter over to a debt collection agent. He paid next day.

Sometimes it is just the mere threat that you will pursue the debt that is all that's needed.

Just remeber guys (and Gals!!) if you go down the intimidation route and subsequently go to court, any evidence of intimidating behaeviour will go down very badly with the Judge - you may lose a bona-fide case because of this. You are at liberty to sieze items to the value as a lien, maybe a motorbike??? cycle etc as long as no intimidation took part.

Keep a diary of all contact, copies of letters etc, and send these recorded.

failing that i have a load of mates who are all second row at the local rugby club who hate to see anyone ripped off!!!!!
A lien, This is something you don't want to do yourself leave it to the professionals otherwise you could find yourself in the criminal court for Theft or in the case of a motor vehicle taking without consent.

Hmm, as nightclub doorman, 18 stone and proficient at MMA (and with 30 doormen at my disposal) getting physical would be too easy. I need to ensure that as we are a small community here, can you tell me the name of your village that has a 'small community'

i need to avoid it really

1 nightclub needing 30 doorman is not a place i want to go :eek: :D

Out of interest, does anyone / has anyone ever used a debt recovery service to try and get money in from Joe Public? I have someone who I did a very small job for on call-out and when it came to paying they said their cheque book had run out and could they post payment. Still nothing has arrived despite reminders etc. It is only a small amount of money but I think it is principle that I go after the debt as I hate people thinking they can mug me off. The wife / accountant has begged me not to go down my preferred route which involves a little intimidation when visiting and go through the correct channels. In the past I have taken people to county court, but this debt is so small it wouldn't be worth it so I would rather pass it to an organisation who will chase for a small fee.
Ever thought of trying the small claims court?

They are for smaller debts, self administered & avoid the use & cost of a solicitor.

Latest posts