UK Debt Collection

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, as nightclub doorman, 18 stone and proficient at MMA (and with 30 doormen at my disposal) getting physical would be too easy. I need to ensure that as we are a small community here, can you tell me the name of your village that has a 'small community'

i need to avoid it really

1 nightclub needing 30 doorman is not a place i want to go :eek: :D
No, it is a small community but as a doorman it makes sense to work in an area where you don't live. I always work in the big cities so that when you are out shopping with the family, trouble rarely finds you.

Ever thought of trying the small claims court?They are for smaller debts, self administered & avoid the use & cost of a solicitor.
I have used the small claims route several times in the past when I ran other businesses and it was always successful. Thing is, the debt that I am chasing isn't much larger than the fee to get it to court in the first place. I know when I win I get it back (in theory) but am thinking in this case of knocking on his door one evening just to front him and ask him why I have had no money or even contact. Cheque will not be accepted - only folding kind this time.

a small claim costs them not you.

if they owe a bill thats almost going to double and effect there credit i'm sure they will pay. just send them a letter of intent and the extra costs involved.

as you say to save all hassle go there explain its a small bill and you will be forced to go through the court.

gets my goat imagining them drinking your pint on a friday night :yellow card

Don't know why any of you entertain cheques in the first case - especially 'promised' cheques. :)

Cash on completion - or set yourself up with a means of accepting cards - and don't leave the property until you have one or the other.

Failing that, for large amounts, a bankers draft or building society cheque.

No way would I take a personal cheque....for any amount.

Apparently they're phasing them out soon so you'll have to use another method anyway.

Don't know why any of you entertain cheques in the first case - especially 'promised' cheques. :) Cash on completion - or set yourself up with a means of accepting cards - and don't leave the property until you have one or the other.

Failing that, for large amounts, a bankers draft or building society cheque.

No way would I take a personal cheque....for any amount.

Apparently they're phasing them out soon so you'll have to use another method anyway.
All depends on how you run your business. Most of my customers pay by cheque as I invoice them when work is complete.

Don't know why any of you entertain cheques in the first case - especially 'promised' cheques. :)
We get 80% of our money by cheque, I am even paid my salary by cheque!

Cash on completion - or set yourself up with a means of accepting cards - and don't leave the property until you have one or the other.
Christ I have an account at the petrol station! I would never expect to pay a tradesman there and then. I would expect an invoice, unless it was a silly amount for a small job.

Aye, it's a shame. There are times when a cheque is the simplest option. Anyone can take a cheque, not everyone can take a card. Will hit small charities especially.

thats bizarre i haven't used or had a cheque for years.

electronic,card or cash.

cheques attract a higher business banking fee too, to the now conventional method of electronic payments.

if your using cheques your not paying or receiving money the most cost effecient way.

jesus ppl speak to your bank managers.

We get 80% of our money by cheque, I am even paid my salary by cheque!you should change that

Christ I have an account at the petrol station! I would never expect to pay a tradesman there and then. I would expect an invoice, unless it was a silly amount for a small job.

because your a business

Aye, it's a shame. There are times when a cheque is the simplest option. Anyone can take a cheque, not everyone can take a card. Will hit small charities especially.
reply in red

You are correct, patch, anyone can take a cheque - but anyone can write a cheque as well, whether the funds are there or not. :)

A couple of bounced cheques can mess up the cash flow of a small business - and then you have to spend your time going chasing them for the money.

At least with the other payment methods the funds have to be available for them to make the payment.

If your doing regular work for someone - say an Estate Agent - then obviously you'd invoice and expect a cheque, but one-off private customers I'd have it written in the quote for payment on completion, no cheques. :)

Has anyone got a copy of the terms and conditions included in their quote template please
Before the days of affordable home printers I used to get a commercial printers to print my letterheads. On the back they printed (in light greyscale) my T&C's. That way there was never any misunderstanding.

I try to encourage on-line payments but some people insist on paying by cheque - thinking it gives them control - i.e they can bounce it if required. I get rather frustrated when, as has happened in the past a customer has dug the cheque book out for

Theft Act 1968:

Dishonestley = needs to be proved

Appropriate = needs to be proved

Property belonging to another = needs to be proved

With the intention to PERMANENTLY deprive them of it = needs to be proved

Siezing property of similar vale as a lien will not come under the theft act.

However making off without payment i.e. refusing to pay is

If you can show (possibly by reference to previous conduct) that a person or company has ordered work with no intention to pay, this would be a criminal matter.

SteveT

Theft Act 1968:Dishonestley = needs to be proved

Appropriate = needs to be proved

Property belonging to another = needs to be proved

With the intention to PERMANENTLY deprive them of it = needs to be proved

Siezing property of similar vale as a lien will not come under the theft act.

However making off without payment i.e. refusing to pay is

If you can show (possibly by reference to previous conduct) that a person or company has ordered work with no intention to pay, this would be a criminal matter.

SteveT
correct but does still not give you the power to sieze goods for payment etc

would you expect to go to a shop you have never used before, 'buy' a

Latest posts