Wall switch with no known function

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The timer is possibly just to give your hot water a little boost outside its normal "on" times. Say one day when the whole family is getting ready to go to a do and you need more hot water than just a couple of showers worth.

Great, thanks all.  And great example Onoff, I have two young daughters so will no doubt need this facility in years to come!!

Happy new year!

Probably the reason it does not use any electricity when turned on, is the tank is already up to temperature from the boiler, so the immersions thermostat is open.

That makes sense.

I asked a plumber (who says he also does minor electrical work) this question when he was in my kitchen a while ago. He lives a few doors down from me in the same house type as mine so same layout and everything. He said he also had this same switch in his kitchen, but he never figured out what it did either! Wow!

Great, thanks all.  And great example Onoff, I have two young daughters so will no doubt need this facility in years to come!!

Happy new year!

It might not work at all of course. The immersion "element" might need replacing. They do pack up.

If you do have an immersion then having a modern one with safety thermostat is vitally important as there was a sad case a few years back. It really is that serious:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7179092.stm

That is a very sad news item. I will get mine checked before I use it. Thank you.

Latest posts