JOIN TEF AND BENEFIT FROM MEMBERSHIP:

CLICK HERE TO JOIN.
  •  

Countdown To Christmas!

6181Y 1.5mm or 6241Y 1.5mm for neutral

Jono Pashley

Question

Jono Pashley

i will be wiring the lighting on the bungalow using seperate line and neutral cables. My question is do i need a earth in the neutral cable as well as the line cable(using 6241Y for this), Neutral will only run in the loft void and will not be plastered in at any point, rcd protected etc.

Evans Electric

The OP is saying its difficult to get lots of cables down the switch drops ( most would have to have three twin/earths) and decorative fittings don't always lend themselves to 3 plate and the loft is to boarded over so JBs would be lost so, he,s wiring in singles.

I'd use live/earth and 6181Y as neutral .

Thanks Mr Location for a very detailed reply as to why you may think i am not familiar with forums.

However, i am a member of many forums and so i think i have a grasp on how threads and posts come across.

BUT, i still do not see any suggestion by the OP what the job entailed.

I then get abuse and being accused of a troll and a member of the Screwfix forums, (which i see many are here), for asking to be pointed to the post that explains it all!

The members that have replied about neutrals are merely answering the question that he has asked without even trying to find out why.

And this is a friendly forum?????

Thanks but i think ill find another.

Everyone has been nice!

Thanks but i think ill find another.

A little harsh? :|

SPECIAL LOCATION
Thanks Mr Location for a very detailed reply as to why you may think i am not familiar with forums.

However, i am a member of many forums and so i think i have a grasp on how threads and posts come across.

BUT, i still do not see any suggestion by the OP what the job entailed.

well as per my post #31

"The general impression from these posts would imply that this is re-wire type work (rather than new-build) in which case access down walls to switch drops could also be tight trying to get multiple T&E

Andy™

The members that have replied about neutrals are merely answering the question that he has asked without even trying to find out why.

er... maybe im missing something here, but the OP asked a question, we gave an answer. you even admit that.

so are you suggesting that next time someone asks something, we ask loads of other questions to find out exactly why he wants to do that, and maybe even the colour of his neighbours friends cat, and then give him an answer based on that? sorry, but it doesnt work that way.

Dont question my experience when you have NO idea who or what i am.

Rather think you missed the point there fella, a developing trend!

SPECIAL LOCATION
er... maybe im missing something here, but the OP asked a question, we gave an answer. you even admit that.

so are you suggesting that next time someone asks something, we ask loads of other questions to find out exactly why he wants to do that, and maybe even the colour of his neighbours friends cat, and then give him an answer based on that? sorry, but it doesnt work that way.

yeh!!!:D

I like that idea!!Applaud SmileyApplaud SmileyApplaud Smiley

I shall give it a try....

What colour shoes are you wearing today...?

Do most of your customers have a surname staring with 'B'...?

What make of cable has the darkest grey outer sheath...?

Why do painters wear White overalls...?

this could be fun!:^O

Evans Electric

Why DO painters wear white overalls ??

Why DO painters wear white overalls ??

Because they are messy blighters and gloss paint doesn't wash out............

:)

matt.leung

i would say yes,

SPECIAL LOCATION
The OP is saying its difficult to get lots of cables down the switch drops ( most would have to have three twin/earths) and decorative fittings don't always lend themselves to 3 plate and the loft is to boarded over so JBs would be lost so, he,s wiring in singles.

indeed so Sandra... tis how I read it aswell.....

Great minds.........................

stay on the best forum!!!!:x:x:xGuiness DrinkGuiness DrinkGuiness Drink

:^O:^O:^O

(can I borrow the red high-heels again this weekend.... please?

you can have them back next week:p;\:O)

]:)

Andy™

id use an earth

We have to use double insulated singles on council refurb site. We never use neutral + earth though.

Evans Electric

If you are using Live/Earth you don't need Neutral / Earth , just use Blue 6181Y.

Is there a reason you are not 3 plating it ?

Deke

Jono Pashley

Lot of the fittings are decorative ones with very little room and no loop terminal so thought this method would make life easer when it comes to fitting them.

Evans Electric

That makes sense.

matt.leung

why not just use T&E and JB's ? makes life easy

Jono Pashley

loft being converted in the spring so jbs would be inaccessible

I would wire as normal three plate and when putting fittings up make a small hole in ceiling and put connections up there. But I like an easy life and don't like to much confrontation.

Batty

Andy™

if you read the thread to find out why he wants to do it that way, you will find that the normal way with T&E is making things hard.

I did read the thread and there was nothing about not using T&E, only 3 plating.

T&E to switches and one to fitting from switch. < Not making life hard.

You could also use Wago connectors or similar, as these are considered permanent connections

Why not loop T&e feeds in and out of switches..with T&E . SL /N /CPC taken up to lights....lots of new builds are wired like this.

You could always use the Ashley maintenance free jb's, wouldnt need to worry about the future loft conversion then.

J803 & J804 are the part numbers....I've used both on a loft conversion to extend existing circuits, so had to use these as they were put in under the conversion floor.

Taken from TLC's site:

"Ashley

Maintenance Free Junction Boxes

Suitable for use in inaccessible locations

Maintenance free terminals provide one solution where accessibility is an issue.

Tests, including long term vibration, shock test, long term connection test,

pull out, voltage drop, temperature rise and exposure to corrosive atmospheres

validate the suitability of these terminals.

Equally suitable are solutions such as a

Archived