18V Cordless Combi Drill recommendations

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think drills should last years, therefore reviews should take this into account, ive had my dewalt 988 for six years still using original nicad batteries. Looks batered to bits but never gives up, i dont see many makitas lasting that long,

Trouble is Wozz dewalt have gone down hill the quality is just not there anymore and a professional drill that only has a 1 year guarantee shows what they think of there quality.

milwaukee ?

TBH I've never heard of them before the last couple of years, are they rebranded AEG which in turn was or is Atlas Coppco or something?

Somehow reminds me of when dewalt was the in thing, which was just paint B&D pro / Elu products yellow & market them a bit more !

no,

Milwaukee been about a long time, just hitting the open market now,

AEG are sort of like the commercial version of an industrial range,

a bit like B&D are the DIY version of Dewalt nowadays

Right on the money Steps, TTI own ryobi, AEG and Milwaukee. All branded differently for different markets, Ryobi is the DIY range, AEG mid range and Milwaukee is the premium brand.

It has been sold in the US for years and is very well regarded, thier test equipment is also quality. Designed by ex-Fluke guys and has some nice features.

Hello guys,

Just joined the forum and only my 1st post but I am looking for a very good drill as well and I was wondering what is your experience with Metabo? Could you have a look on the following ones? Only thing is that they run at 1400 rpm max.

1. 100Nm Product catalogue handheld powertools - Products Metabo - Power Tools ? Metabo Great Britain and Ireland - Power tools built by professionals for professionals

2. 62 Nm Product catalogue handheld powertools - Products Metabo - Power Tools ? Metabo Great Britain and Ireland - Power tools built by professionals for professionals

Cheers

I went with a 18V SDS and Drill Driver/Impact Driver Combo rather than Combi Driver. I find SDS much better than Hammer drills.

I have DeWalt, but looking back, wish I'd gone Makita.

I stick to 18V so that I can use the same 4 batteries on all my tools, circular saw, jigsaw, drills etc

Well I bought the makita BHR261RDE 36 volt after a lot of thought coz of cost, but O my word I'm so glad I did, had all kind of drills over the years, but this one is simply a monster, would recommend this all day long, but down side is cost, but it will eat all jobs you through at it

Hello guys,Just joined the forum and only my 1st post but I am looking for a very good drill as well and I was wondering what is your experience with Metabo? Could you have a look on the following ones? Only thing is that they run at 1400 rpm max.

1. 100Nm Product catalogue handheld powertools - Products Metabo - Power Tools ? Metabo Great Britain and Ireland - Power tools built by professionals for professionals

2. 62 Nm Product catalogue handheld powertools - Products Metabo - Power Tools ? Metabo Great Britain and Ireland - Power tools built by professionals for professionals

Cheers
Metabo stuff is pretty good i have a chase cutter and it does the job well. The only down side when a part broke there was not one in the country and i had to wait two weeks for it. I did buy a makita chase cutter as a stand in and that is fine also and have been using that since. i don't think you will go far wrong with metabo.

Hi, I bought the Makita 451, 80Nm one from Screwfix recently. Plenty of guts and then some. Couple of things, for

Last edited by a moderator:
Just purchased these 4a/hr impact drill plus cordless with 2 batteries

MAKITA DLX2005M 18V TWIN PACK WITH 2 X 4AH LITHIUM ION BATTERIES plus charger
£280.00 all in, cheapest I could find.

Think the 458 was the "replacement" for the 451.  I like my 451!

Still got a 15yr old 12V Makita 6223D with the ORIGINAL red 2.0Ah Ni-Cad. Takes / holds a good charge and just keeps on going! Even changed the chuck to a 13mm just after I got it. It's had some serious use on site but is semi retired now. Tbh it just lives with a countersinking bit in it now but I just can't kill it.  :lol:

I still got a green 18v Bosch that my dad gave me for Xmas years ago. Still can't chuck it so it lives in the cupboard for diy.

The 458 is a wee beastie, nearly broke my arm when drilling fence posts with a new auger bit :)

Those old makita's were the dogs do daas.

I hear they aren't as good quality these days but I can't complain :)

I still got a green 18v Bosch that my dad gave me for Xmas years ago. Still can't chuck it so it lives in the cupboard for diy.

The 458 is a wee beastie, nearly broke my arm when drilling fence posts with a new auger bit :)

Those old makita's were the dogs do daas.

I hear they aren't as good quality these days but I can't complain :)
The 458 is I think 88Nm whereas the 451 is only 80Nm and that can be quite a handful. Does it have the built in light that shines nowhere near the tip of the supplied bits?

Best you use that side handle that came with then or you'll be doing other "things" left handed!  :lol:

:slap

The light on the diy bosch was perfect! the makita is absolutely f'in useless :( everything else is fine. the bit was brand new it felt like it didn't want to stop till it got to the centre of the earth :)

88Nm is probably more torque than my van!