5 week wonders

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be more interested to know how many people fail the assessment to join a little club, most common failings and their backgrounds.

Didnt understand the options proper and voted time served self certing.

Still, did my apprenticeship and gained all my quals and experience at my employers expense.

Once all that was done, jumped ship with most of his clients.

Years on, im rolling in it and loving every day of my job.

Shame it has all been watered down to let in all the chancers.

You wouldnt see it happening in the gas world.

Hoping to break into the North West of England in the near future
quick - will have to get a few breeze blocks layed on hadrians wall!

Still, did my apprenticeship and gained all my quals and experience at my employers expense.

You have no shame or guilt at your employer giving you 4 years training for free then you stealing most of his clients?

TBH its not something I would want to brag about Wet Fish

I didnt say anything at all about stealing clients.

He was retiring the following year and he asked them if they would be happy for me to look after them when he did.

Christ, and I get accused of assuming. headbang

I didnt say anything at all about stealing clients.He was retiring the following year and he asked them if they would be happy for me to look after them when he did.

To be fair - in the time and money your employer has spend training you, many times over will have been repaid by you working hard whilst training. The employer has had benefit too!

I can see both sides

Are you having a giraffe?

In the "gas world" (for those who don`t know, it`s located next to "pink, fluffy world") the numpties got in long ago.

Can we PLEASE stop all this - it`s peeing me right off now.

Thank you

K M E

Didnt understand the options proper and voted time served self certing.Still, did my apprenticeship and gained all my quals and experience at my employers expense.

I didnt say anything at all about stealing clients.He was retiring the following year and he asked them if they would be happy for me to look after them when he did.

I think the way you worded the first post did imply that you did actually 'steal' clients off your boss.

I even thought thats what you meant myself!!

Please think before you post. :)

I think, for me anyway, an interesting point is that we have no one ,voting anyway,

that is a plumber/kitchen fitter or otherwise that has simply done a part P enrolement.

; )OK here goes..

Time served (but not in the Electrical industry as such!)

Left school..

4 year Telecommunications apprenticeship.

(Private company NOT BT, or GPO as it was then called!)

Gained BTEC Telecommunications certificate

&

HNC in Telecommunications Engineering.

Worked on installation & maintenance of various commercial communication systems:-

Internal phone systems, {before that days of the BT liberalisation a lot of factories had TWO phone systems, internal & external,

This was the era of mechanical Strowger switch boards, just as the electronic stuff was coming in.}

Broadcast systems

Pagers

Fire Alarm

Time & Attendance systems

Then as desktop computers became economically viable (a reasonable desktop PC was around

Sorry mr niceguy....

From your first post it did seem a bit underhanded. You did word it to imply a bit of skullduggerry. Apologies for jumping down your throat. And please don't take the Lords name in vain!

Sorry mr niceguy....From your first post it did seem a bit underhanded. You did word it to imply a bit of skullduggerry. Apologies for jumping down your throat. And please don't take the Lords name in vain!
Apologies, and bless you.

; )OK here goes..Time served (but not in the Electrical industry as such!)

Left school..

4 year Telecommunications apprenticeship.

(Private company NOT BT, or GPO as it was then called!)

Gained BTEC Telecommunications certificate

&

HNC in Telecommunications Engineering.

Worked on installation & maintenance of various commercial communication systems:-

Internal phone systems, {before that days of the BT liberalisation a lot of factories had TWO phone systems, internal & external,

This was the era of mechanical Strowger switch boards, just as the electronic stuff was coming in.}

Broadcast systems

Pagers

Fire Alarm

Time & Attendance systems

Then as desktop computers became economically viable (a reasonable desktop PC was around

Ok my History is not as facinating as the above :)

I built my first working circuit at 13 years old and at 15 built a fully working binary computer.

I was supposed to do electrical engineering but got bored, I started an apprenticeship working alongside a guy called cyril who reminded me every day that I will never make an electrician as long as I had a hole in my backside.

I did my time but then joined the army, leaving to become a computer programmer, but I hated that job as well.

I spent a total of 20 years off the tools before going back full time.

I did odd rewires here and there during the time away from full time working.

A few years ago I designed a circuit and wiring diagram that is now used worldwide (by this company) for automatic double gate openers, I sent the instructions by e-mail to the head designer who implemented them, and I never thought to copywrite the plans so lost out big time :(

I do like the design stage but I am more happy on the job, which is why I carry on.

Most of my passion is with industrial work, but will do domestic when I feel the need to get dirty.

OA few years ago I designed a circuit and wiring diagram that is now used worldwide (by this company) for automatic double gate openers, I sent the instructions by e-mail to the head designer who implemented them, and I never thought to copywrite the plans so lost out big time :(
Aww Gawd. :_| Sorry to hear that GH, Mate. :(

Most contracts have a section that basically says if you invent something while working for us (even if its in your own time) then we own the IP on it.

Most contracts have a section that basically says if you invent something while working for us (even if its in your own time) then we own the IP on it.
Well you don't want water and dust getting into your electronic gate controllers.......

:coat

ok here goes

College C&G electronics servicing 223/224 (now defunct)

analogue/digital techniques, electrical power theory and all that kind of stuff.

Got a trainee bench engineer job with Mastercare, Currys and Dixons repair service. Spent 13 happy years repairing all manner of brown goods from record players to plasma tvs.

Was made redundant, worked with brother in law (spark) for a while completed 5 week wonder course, over a period of 6 months, now self employed doing mainly domestic and small commercial jobs.

Just for the record - :|

I too get a little annoyed with this idea that anyone who completes a 5 week course is somehow to blame for every bad job out there.

If you are lucky enough to get an apprenticeship - great,

If you can afford to go to night school - great,

are you going to be a good electrician?

Only time and experience will tell.

GuinnessGuinness

I do think it is a derogatory comment that people do throw around far too often but I have no doubt that it is rarly used to cause offense.

Latest posts