an awkward customer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well Ian tbh

The 1 in 4 is easily achievable

Fluorescent already in kitchen/bathroom, only 10 light positions in property, so only need 1 more to comply. I think the customer is annoyed that he is being told of the guidelines that we must work to.

On each rewire I do, I say exactly the same to each potential customer, and most take your advise. However this one is just being awkward. From his point of view, he doesn't need all these extra things ( sockets-fans-Tv points ), forgot to mention tv point on op. His mother used a 12" B&W with built in Arial so we won't need any points !!!!!!!

To be honest the difference between what he wants and what I have advised is probably a couple of hundred of quid. So I'll wait and see what happens.

Left a message on his phone today, so I'll await his call.

Macca

the socket near the shower isn't against regs as long as it isn't a bathroom, the whole 3m thing only counts for bathrooms. any other room there is no minimum distance between the socket outlets and sinks etc, you could have the sockets directly above a sink etc if you really wanted despite it being stupid.

if you think about it if 3m was always the legel minimum distance blah blah blah then every kitchen in the UK would be "illegal" as would a whole lot of landing sockets.

the socket near the shower isn't against regs as long as it isn't a bathroom, the whole 3m thing only counts for bathrooms. any other room there is no minimum distance between the socket outlets and sinks etc, you could have the sockets directly above a sink etc if you really wanted despite it being stupid.if you think about it if 3m was always the legel minimum distance blah blah blah then every kitchen in the UK would be "illegal" as would a whole lot of landing sockets.
no bengie its a room containing a bath OR a shower.

most sparks would not put a socket in a bathroom 50mx50m

your comment about the socket near a sink whilst has no distance requirement an accessory suitable to external influences would require a ip rated socket. thats going to look good bad day explode

i was merely pointing out the ambiguous nature of the BRB
I do not consider 701.512.3 to be very grey at all. Clearly states 3m horizontally from zone 1.

You do not need to comply with low energy lighting lighting for a rewire(why would you want to fit a stupid low energy pendant in a rewire? guaranteed to pee of customer when they have to fork out

Hi lostitIts no that its stingy, I'm just going on the information from the OSG. If he does rent to a say family of 4/5 then 1 socket per room is not enough. Table 8B says the number of twin socket to be provided in homes is X amount per room, so if we pass on this information and the customer says no, are we to just accept this ?.

If so have I then not met a building reg with this and the fan in the wc.?

Macca
Regulation 553.1.7 Page 142, is the key one....

SUFFICIENT OUTLETS TAKING INTO ACCOUNT THE LENGTH OF FLEX ON PORTABLE EQUIPMENT!

if they are only going to use 1 item in the corner where the socket is then all good..

if not... :(

need more! ;)

You do not need to comply with low energy lighting lighting for a rewire(why would you want to fit a stupid low energy pendant in a rewire? guaranteed to pee of customer when they have to fork out

not the ones with different pins though are they? the 4 pin PL lamps with offset nobbles on the side.

Been round to see him tonight....

Will report shortly..

Must get the kids to bed.

He has agreed to all my advised items, except the heights of switches and the socket within the 3 metre distance of the shower. He wants the reg no and the contact details of my scam provider to find out more and to enquire why it is deemed unsafe at less than 3m, yet ok at 3.1m. I did also tell him that he would lose the switch for a pullcord (switch is closer than socket) and he nearly blew a gasket. The upshot is I have the keys and start it when I like and he agreed to my price. So I'll bank his cheque tomorrow (50%) upfront and try and get round to it before Xmas.......

ONLY JOKING........will start it next week

Macca

GuinnessGuinness

Glad you got it sorted...

Although I still wouldn't be putting a socket <3m from a shower

TBH he sounds like the kind of guy who's going to be second guessing you throughout the job.. so for that I don't envy you!

He has agreed to all my advised items, except the heights of switches and the socket within the 3 metre distance of the shower. He wants the reg no and the contact details of my scam provider to find out more and to enquire why it is deemed unsafe at less than 3m, yet ok at 3.1m.
Good news. Sure I posted the reg last night in another thread about 3m. AIUI its because most portable equipment comes with a max lead of 2m.

This reminds me of a job I did a few years ago, same kind of customer.

After I did the job he paid another electrician to check it out :)

The electrician turned up saw the labels on the CU and told him everything is done right.

"How the hell do you know by looking at the labels?" said the customer, "I was his apprentice when I left school" said the electrician, :) he phoned me right after to tell me what had gone on.

This reminds me of a job I did a few years ago, same kind of customer.After I did the job he paid another electrician to check it out :)

The electrician turned up saw the labels on the CU and told him everything is done right.

"How the hell do you know by looking at the labels?" said the customer, "I was his apprentice when I left school" said the electrician, :) he phoned me right after to tell me what had gone on.
BRILLIANT

thats a real feel good story,

bet it made you feel good too about your ex-apprentice still believed in you, even though he was now in competition/opposition

its funny he's going to tell the scam providers that the regs rules are crap if ok at 3.1 but not at 2.9 pmsl

Latest posts