an awkward customer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
simples

you advised and advise not taken on board and omitted by choice of customer not willing to pay

well guys nice to catch up again with you all,

gotta go to bed now but will be back soon

Macca

You can only advice the customer as to what work you recomend needs doing it is up to him to accept the work, that being said any work he agrees to have done should comply with BS7671 , if you are rewiring I would refuse to rewire socket near to shower as this does not comply, he has already been informed by Restmoral that he would techincally still be a landlord even if it was to a family member, so he has to take every effort to make sure the electrics does comply.

IMHO

Rewires do not need to comply with part m ie heights and rooms with loos with opening windows do not have to have extractor fans but if it was my house I would put one in. Rooms with loos that don't have opening window do have to have extractor fans to comply with building regs. At the end of day customer is paying so you can only do what that are willing to pay for and if they want to keep switches and sockets in same position you have got to do it. If its a new build they have no choice.

As stated, Part M is for New Builds and Not Rewires.

But, that said, I would do the same for rewires too. (Dependant on client's approval).

Regardless of what this client says in terms of who he is renting it out to, a bungalow, I would think this, is the most sought after rental property for anyone, especially the disabled.

TBH, I know work is tight - But I would walk from this one, he sounds a nightmare.

Also, as KME has suggested, Keep this and all corresponding letters between you and your client.

This is the way i would go....

have the meeting at the property

take some extension leads and demonstrate the point of the one socket problem...

stress to him that by putting an extra socket on the same wall would only cost xxxx

stress to him that potential tenants (in your experience ;) ) have walked away from properties like this with limited sockets

if the guy is stubborn say thanks for the opportunity to quote on this job by i dont want this work. If he asks why......tell him straight.

In my opinion, some customers think a lot more of you if you stand by doing a good job, but then there are others.

So the next scenario is I fit 1 socket per room

no extract in wc.

I certify and notify

Customer decides to sell to another Knowledgeable gent, who knows building regs like the back of his hand, and asks why i rewired this one with no extractor only one socket in each room and second hand pendants which are not even energy efficient!!!!!!!!

:red card
You are not building a toilet with or without a window so its not up to you to make sure his existing toilet conforms to part C.

You are doing a rewire so will fall foul of section 43© of AP L1B so need to install some tree hugger lighting. Also keep in mind that outside lighting has restrictions too and any old fittings may need replacing.

At the end of the day, the customer is the one who HAS to ensure all work is done to the building regs BUT if you self certify the work under Part P then YOU could also be liable for any breeches.

You are not building a toilet with or without a window so its not up to you to make sure his existing toilet conforms to part C. You are doing a rewire so will fall foul of section 43© of AP L1B so need to install some tree hugger lighting. Also keep in mind that outside lighting has restrictions too and any old fittings may need replacing.

At the end of the day, the customer is the one who HAS to ensure all work is done to the building regs BUT if you self certify the work under Part P then YOU could also be liable for any breeches.
In the letter from the customer, you will note that he uses " you have advised us, but we don't want"

I am not going to insist he has this work done but, I believe i have made every effort to inform him of the options available. Thats all i can do. What I DONT want however is, 6mths down the line, a phone call from said customer saying" can't i have your insurance details, as tenant has tripped over extension lead that runs from the kitchen to the back bedroom so the kids could plug in Xbox and tv and mp3 player and dvdplayer and sky box and bedside light and alarm clock and you only put in 1 socket............"

As for the security light, he dosen't feel that it needs any further attention COS it dont work. Its corroded hanging off the wall and the lamps are seized into the holders and it tripped the rcd........

RANT OVER.....

Relax, have tea, more paperwork....

:Y

Macca

If the house is not that small then go with the 1 in 4 for the tree hugger lighting rather than 1 per 25m^2 as im sure it will work out at less fittings.

If the outside light is broken, then do not replace/rewire (or replace with external box ready for light in the future).

Sockets, there is no requirement for numbers despite the suggestions made. Make sure you keep a copy of the note stating they do not require more than one per room. Personally, I think they are mad. I use more than 1 in every room (thats not a special location containing a bath or shower :p ).

Latest posts