Apprentice salary

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gazza, I understand your concern for your son, but the truth is he is on what the company he works for say he is worth, if you or he is not happy with that then perhaps you or he ought to speak to other local firms with a view to getting him an different apprenticeship placement, I know it sounds harsh but I’m sure you understand that a) despite what figures any forum members bounce about none of them are employing your son so their rates are irrelevant 

b) just because there are rates available doesn’t mean the company is going to pay it

c) I’m sure many people have payscales that they don’t get, in our game more often than not. 

Have you spoken to the college that your son attends to ask for the rates he should or should not be getting? Colleges usually have a rappour with local firms and will be able to approach them without creating waves if you know what I mean?

The 1st year an apprentice is a burden on any company.

The 2nd year he should be productive even though in a limited capacity.

The 3rd year he should be able to compete minor projects by himself with guidance.

The 4th year he should be able spread his wings in design and installation with limited guidance.

There are multiple connotations to my brief résumé. But without knowing the level of your son’s skills I can’t comment on any salary he can expect.

He’s worth what he’s worth to the employer.

BTW, I was never a contractor.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was aimed at Evans elect, your the only one with ANYTHING constructive to say Andy

Really?  I am struggling to see what is not constructive about Evans post quoted below;

JIB  Rates of pay .  2018     NOT London area

Assuming  he is a Grade 2   Apprentice   (2nd year) 

Transport provided    £7.29

Own Transport            £8.16

Workshop only             £ 6.70  

(  We are talking about an  Apprentice Electrician  I take it  ??)   

I do know of some who expect apprentices to have an element of independence from their parents and initiative and confidence to investigate their own solutions to problems, such as the ability to make their own enquiries on an internet forum. Lack of these skills could impact upon the value an employer may be willing to pay them.

Doc H.

I 've spent my working life trying to support apprentice's  rights & conditions , mostly when they  were used  solely as cheap labour ..  stuck on  carrying out menial tasks  and work that a labourer could do  to the detriment  of his  training and education .    

Quite often apprentices would be approaching the end of their term and had not received  experience in all the fields we cover ...I frequently championed their cause  , not that  most employers were really  interested .    ( Probably thought I was a tit. ) 

However if that qualifies me as a Tit ...I will adjust my bra  and  butt out .