bending conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derek13

Reaction score
anybody got good sites or tips on bending conduit, both plastic or galv not done any before and keen to learn ? appreciate any help

cheersGuiness Drink

anybody got good sites or tips on bending conduit, both plastic or galv not done any before and keen to learn ? appreciate any helpcheersGuiness Drink
Takes time to get used to bendin, plastic is much easier i find than galv.

i used to practic when i were an apprentice when no one was around. prob wrecked every piece first few times.

not much help though, easier to show than explain.

For steel conduit you need a bending m/c like a Hilmore ( Google it) much like a plumber's bender. Tube has to be in the former or it will flatten. To be honest , making say, double sets is a matter of practice, its difficult to describe, you need someone to show you.

PVC conduit is much easier, as long as you use a bending spring inside, you can pull a double set or right angle over your knee. Getting the size right is practice again.

Deke

Takes time to get used to bendin, plastic is much easier i find than galv.i used to practic when i were an apprentice when no one was around. prob wrecked every piece first few times.

not much help though, easier to show than explain.
Sounds like a trip down the wholesaler to get a couple of lengths to practice with might be the answer

Sounds like a trip down the wholesaler to get a couple of lengths to practice with might be the answer
Good idea !! A few lengths of PVC conduit won't cost you a lot, plus a pring (or even a spring !!) to fit. Don't forget to attach some 2.5 cable to the spring.

Deke

best way, saves lookin stupid on site when ure asked to do it.

i messed loads in my first year

Bending steel takes loads of practice, I remember working with a lad who did it by rack of eye and was never wrong I measured every bend and got it wrong!!

Plastic is more forgiving and as long as you do what Evans Electric said attach some cable to the spring you will not lose any springs.

You will need a bench for steel if like me you can not handle the manual benders, this is steel not copper. The bench has a threader for the ends and what we called milk (a kind of lubricant for cutting), and expect to go home blacked up to hell its dirty work.

like everyone else has said, prepare to bankrupt yourself at first with trial pieces - practise makes perfect - well at least it makes ya better!

oh forgot - for steel conduit we use hilmor's, with rems powered threads.

Used those push-fits with a former employer and have never used them since! Doddle to work with till you lose a snake into a cavity somewhere!

Anyway, cannae beat a bit of conduit screwin' in my book.

Don't do many tubing jobs but been using my bender (which is probably nearly as old as me) for years and can get bends bang on with a tape measure and my thunb! Love it when I get the chance though :)

The company I served my time with (late 80's/early 90's) used them on a couple of jobs, they always been banned??

Practice makes perfect.

When doing your dog legs it's very easy to end up with the final end being offline so watch this when you replace the conduit into the bender.

You will need to over-bend each bend because it will spring back slightly. When finished it's better to have an underbend than an overbend though, as you can continue to create the bend, but it's more awkward to straighten a bend.

Thread cutting can also be a pain to start if the conduit isn't cut straight. I found that a small chamfer on the edge helps to locate the die.

Oh and some of this Pray may help.

Conduit is all about practice, practice and practice! After MIC it is the second most dark-art nowadays!

This guide is quite helpful but you do need to accept that you will muck it up for a while.

I've seen some lovely work from the 1970's and I know I'll never be able to match it. :(

Practice makes perfect.When doing your dog legs it's very easy to end up with the final end being offline so watch this when you replace the conduit into the bender.
As a vet can I just say 'pets and conduit benders don't mix'

:eek: