bending conduit

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last major job i was on the main contractors had a team of guys doing the containment(Trunking and conduit) electric dies cracking job all in galvanised.

Main thing was all ages young ones were good as well.couple of small sections I done for linking between panels,they got upset as they wanted to do it.helpful harry's.

You could tell they were doing it all the time couple of our apprentices couldnt even thread the conduit as already said cut must be level.

All they want to do now is the Laptop work programming.

Still progress.

The last post reminded me of a job some years ago now at a huge complex . There were youngish guys there working for one of the big contractors running miles 12" X 4" steel trunking with two segregations. They were ace at it , making sets and bends, throwing it up like there was no tomorow, leave you standing !! Trouble was they were suposed to be apprentices but were learning sod all but how to install miles of trunking.

Perhaps they left to be ducting engineers.

If a learner to save on cost, you could always use a peice of 3"x2".

I have done it in the past many years ago.

Answers on a post card please.

Drill a hole through the timber and use it for your sets,20mm hole and bend with pressure slowley you can get a set as the timber stops it splaying out.

Handy as a practice peice without the outlay for a bending machine.No formers required.

And a massive arc on yer bend :) You're right tho.. good for off-sets

To be perfectly honest 20 years ago everything was in conduit but these days its all armoured or trayed. Whilst I would agree you need to know the basics, metal conduit is rapidly diying out as a viable cable management solution.

To be perfectly honest 20 years ago everything was in conduit but these days its all armoured or trayed. Whilst I would agree you need to know the basics, metal conduit is rapidly diying out as a viable cable management solution.
I would disagree with this with having to RCD all circuits in domestic on new installs I will put cooker circuit through conduit rather than putting circuit through RCD.

Batty

I would disagree with this with having to RCD all circuits in domestic on new installs I will put cooker circuit through conduit rather than putting circuit through RCD.Batty
Understand but single core back to DB... pricing?

Traditionally single core cables have been run in conduit. If you are worried about the moisture in heater elements that cause a fault to earth which trip rcd,s its like folkelore.

It just does not happen in this day and age because of insulation and heating in the home.Very few cases of nuicance tripping from a modern oven in my experiance.

If you are worried about the moisture in heater elements that cause a fault to earth which trip rcd,s its like folkelore.
not folklore. been called to plenty jobs where cooker element has low IR and tripping RCD. admittedly though, all have been older cookers with exposed type heating element on the hob.

you can use con lock fittings which have no threads just a allen screw that tightens onto the tube .All the same accessories but no threadidg to do

yours benji

you can use con lock fittings which have no threads just a allen screw that tightens onto the tube .All the same accessories but no threadidg to doyours benji
Now that's just cheating! :eek:

If a learner to save on cost, you could always use a peice of 3"x2".I have done it in the past many years ago.

Answers on a post card please.

Drill a hole through the timber and use it for your sets,20mm hole and bend with pressure slowley you can get a set as the timber stops it splaying out.

Handy as a practice peice without the outlay for a bending machine.No formers required.
god now you are showing your age i thought the only one

to remember that i still use that method on very small

jobs

With galvo a bending machine is a must , but with pvc it's an internal bending spring, a cloth so you can rub like mad on the point you need to bend to get it a bit warm and simply bending at arms length so you actually cross your arms a bit then you relax the tube and you should have a perfect radius for drawing your singles thru ..... I tried the across the knee method and found the radius too tight .

Radius is tight over the knee Mega , I forgot to add that I always wear hard shell knee pads, which produce a decent radius. A local wholesaler sells a very neat solid bend without a bulky coupler on each end , just moulded out to fit.

I thought the wooden bending block had sunk with the Titanic , had to use one as apprenti.

Deke

Latest posts