Can an intermediate switch be used/adapted as a two way switch?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTbangbang

Trainee DEI
Reaction score
Hello all,

The title says it all. Is this possible? I have a lighting situation with lamps controlled by switches at 4 different points, but I only have 1 two way switch and 3 intermediate switches left in my bag. If not, I'll go shopping!

Thanks for any advice.

TTbb

Thanks Lurch,

I just needed the confirmation or knowledge that there would be a better way, anand also whether it was a no-no despite being possible.

TTbb

wire commen to top
Just to clarify that, you wire the common to one of the terminals at the top (or bottom), leaving the other one empty. If you wire the common to both, you'll never be able to switch the light off!

Just to clarify that, you wire the common to one of the terminals at the top (or bottom), leaving the other one empty. If you wire the common to both, you'll never be able to switch the light off!
Well i new what I meant.

:D

Hello all,The title says it all. Is this possible? I have a lighting situation with lamps controlled by switches at 4 different points, but I only have 1 two way switch and 3 intermediate switches left in my bag. If not, I'll go shopping!

Thanks for any advice.

TTbb
Golden rule to remember..

1-way switch:

can only be used as 1-way

2-way switch:

can be used as 1-way OR 2-way

Intermediate switch:

can be used as 1-way OR 2-way OR Intermediate.

:) ;)

Intermediate switch:

can be used as 1-way OR 2-way OR Intermediate.

:) ;)
Which is why I find it so baffling that you can't buy 2,3 or 4 gang intermediates (other than grid switches)

If all manufacturers just made all there switches as intermediates, in any number of ways, it would be so much simpler selecting switches.

I am suprised no-one has drawn a diagram yet. :)

Which is why I find it so baffling that you can't buy 2,3 or 4 gang intermediates (other than grid switches)If all manufacturers just made all there switches as intermediates, in any number of ways, it would be so much simpler selecting switches.
Contactum do 2 gang intermediate already on a plate and It may be possible to change modules on an MK switches but never tried it as I don't tend to use much Mk stuff. Click stuff is interchangeable I think.

Contactum do 2 gang intermediate already on a plate and It may be possible to change modules on an MK switches but never tried it as I don't tend to use much Mk stuff. Click stuff is interchangeable I think.
You are indeed correct. Click switches you can change the modules so you can put 2 way and intermediate in 2, 3 & 4 gang switch plates.

As others have said... yes Click are interchangable

only the other week I made a "2way-int-2way" switch up for a job I was doing

Bought a "3g 2w" and a "1g int" and swapped the modules... obviously I ended up with a "1g 2w" spare!

I would, but the last time I did, your attached file limits were far too measly to allow the scan to be attached! :(
Put it in the "Downloads Section" and link to it. ;)

Sometimes I feel like a right fairy, with hands tied, dancing on eggshells what with all these rules and regulations and acceptable practice. The other day I couldn't fit a grommet because otherwise the surface mounted back box would not be flush against the wall... so then I felt like a guilty failure because a NICEIC assessment would probably fail me for that.

I guess it makes everything safer though. Wet Fish

Thanks for all the responses.

TTbb

I've uploaded a very quickly drawn guide to Electrical -> Wiring- > Lighting -> switches.jpg. It's in the moderation queue at the moment.

Latest posts