Chasing power tools

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kango all the way, wall chaser too much dust. Using a wall chaser in a place with any kind of furniture is a sure fire way to lose customers unless you have 87 dust sheets.
Before I attached the 3kW dust extractor I'd have agreed 100%. SO MUCH dust when I did the other half of the room I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. And despite rigging a piece of DPM as a screen, duct taped all round the edges I FILLED the house with dust. That was with a suspect 1000W vac attached But I am honestly converted. With the new, big extractor outside the house it's better than 99% dust free. My wife is even running her finger over surfaces in the same room (and I think steaming cos she can't moan).

View attachment 3341

Of course there are areas where I need to use the rotary stop chisel (Makita in my case) and dressing the bottom of the chase here and there. Main area being up where I'm going thru the coving. Then it's neatly chain drill and chisel.

Kango all the way, wall chaser too much dust. Using a wall chaser in a place with any kind of furniture is a sure fire way to lose customers unless you have 87 dust sheets.
Won't that make a bit of a mess of the wall if the plasters alive ? Also you must have massive arms that would kill me doing all them drops with a kango :)

[/ATTACH]

Won't that make a bit of a mess of the wall if the plasters alive ? Also you must have massive arms that would kill me doing all them drops with a kango :)
I assume by "alive" you mean as in loose/coming off? If so then that's the least of my worries. No two walls here have the same make up. Some are done in engineering bricks up to about 1m off the floor. Others elsewhere are hardboard on battens covered in chip paper. The wall in the photo below is "patchy" in terms of quality. When I first tapped it I honestly thought it was plasterboard. The rough build up is 5mm plaster on 15mm of render. Then another 15mm (sharp sand mix I think) of render on proper old breeze blocks. As you can see the "first layer of plaster and render has come away from the second as the second appears to be a painted outside wall originally. Chasing through the first layers actually disturbs them less than the impact of the chisel. At least this way when I can use the mortar gun with a PVA heavy mix to cover the tubes and that will give some localised repair to these loose areas.

View attachment 3345

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought an Erbauer fromm Trade Point the day it opened, first purchase, discount etc it was a no brainer. Bought it specifically for one job, conversion of a 2 bed bungalow into a 5 bed house!!!! Freaking awesome! Any road up, luckily it was unoccupied for the duration...mess? Flip me there was flipping dust every flipping where. Went home at night looking like a fricking snowman, tried connecting a Vac to it, it cried and sulked and spat its dummy out. Don't know about other makes but this was a tad dusty... :coat
Same here. Dusty al you like but strait lines kid!

Can't see how using a kango would make less dust than a chasing tool especially in a breeze block wall. I think you have to judge every job differently but I will say having chopped out fletton bricks in the past a chase cutter certainly makes life easier.

Can't see how using a kango would make less dust than a chasing tool especially in a breeze block wall. I think you have to judge every job differently but I will say having chopped out fletton bricks in the past a chase cutter certainly makes life easier.
The black breeze I'm doing at the moment is MURDER with the SDS chisel - loads of dust for every bit taken out. As you say horses for courses. I've made more dust chiselling out for a double set lump of 20mm galv than I have with all the chasing. (Pics in the Black Museum).