Electrician cuts installed cables because they are dangerous!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done mnay kitchen fits over the years - I used to work with a kitchen fitter. I nearly always split kitchen off from rest of house to enable new ccts and avoid issues with older installations. It is a very easy thing to do without just chopping off cables, which just smacks of deliberate attamept to force a rewire.... As Rob put it, this is tantamount to vandalism.

The builders reply is that the electrician thinks he has done nothing wrong and disconnected because of safety. Only trouble is he has not disconnected, he has cut the cables so they can no longer be used. I am now going to do an email outlining the regulations and the law.

where exactly has he cut the cables?

I, and I'm sure many others on here, would be very interested in the wording of your letter, if you don't mind posting it on here, or a rough versions of it.

He cut them close to the wall where it would be impossible to reconnect. I have just seen an email from the main contractor that even digs a bigger hole for him in that the electrician states that he was not prepared to leave the circuits in a position were they could be reconnected. His professional pride would not allow it. Oh dear!

thats a nice hole he's dug. wonder how deep it will be at the end?

so what reg has he clamined it didnt comply with and was dangerous enough to justify criminal damage of disconnecting and cutting the cables he had nothing to do with? maybe the circuit had live exposed wiring in the kitchen where he removed part of the circuit?

thats a nice hole he's dug. wonder how deep it will be at the end?

so what reg has he clamined it didnt comply with and was dangerous enough to justify criminal damage of disconnecting and cutting the cables he had nothing to do with? maybe the circuit had live exposed wiring in the kitchen where he removed part of the circuit?

I'd have no problem with him disconnecting if that were correct. I know he shouldn't but to be honest I would probably have done this, if quickly making it safe wasn't an option.

Cutting the cables so they can no longer be reused is another matter. 

I'd have no problem with him disconnecting if that were correct. I know he shouldn't but to be honest I would probably have done this, if quickly making it safe wasn't an option.

Cutting the cables so they can no longer be reused is another matter. 

but if that was the case, then it was only dangerous because of his own actions

how long does it take to open  aboard, disconnect a few wires and re-close it. CCTs were proabbly dangerous after he firked about in the kitchen, breaking mains ring and other things

I think you should ask sparky for a full justification of the dangers he suppossedly was protecting everyone from, oh don't tell me, not a twin RCD board  :slap

This stinks of poorly organised work, this should have been dealt with prior to starting any work, he must have known that the old circuits ran through the kitchen? 

THe only defence I can think of, is that the insurance company may not wish to pay for anything beyond the absolute minimum - they do tend to be like that! But it still doesn't justify what he did, which simply smacks of trying to extort money from a little old lady  :redcard

I have had an immediate reply to my email, the loss adjuster is visiting the builders offices tomorrow to discuss reinstatement to the circuits.  He has accepted that the actions of the electrician is a concern to all parties.

I’m sure the insurance companies would be more interested in safe and competent, how long would it have taken to have popped a hole in ceiling and joined cables up there and have the builder patch ceiling. 

Glad to hear the insurance loss adjuster is applying common sense. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, got involved in  a case of bloke from pub cheap re-wire - it was a friggin mess. Said sparky got done for misue of NICEIC logo (he ued his dads registration for part P notification). The ****e electrics never came up in court.

1. if its a +  -  red and black logo with fat Tony and the nodding donkey at the helm,  they will do less than frick all,,,,

Don't forget LFB has retired. He is now the Brand Ambassador for SCOLMORE ( who have just bought SANGAMO)

I may go and bug him at ELEX MAnc on Thursday 

so now its Nodding Sanitaryware and his Gimp!

....now where can I get a T shirt printed with a BFO Gravy Train on it before Thursday 🤔

Latest posts