Electrician cuts installed cables because they are dangerous!!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had my daughter on the phone in tears, having no positive reply from the electrician or building company she called Elesca, who informed her that an electrician can cut off the supply!! Looks like the help team need further training. They did add that permission should be sought first.  They have sent her a complaint form and have urged her to fill it in. I think I will be calling Elesca in the morning and finding out why they are giving wrong advise.

Who the hell do they recruit to sit on these helplines?

I have told her to report the matter to the police as criminal damage, and let Elesca provide his defence. She does not want to take it that far, but if it was me I would have no hesitation. 

Just had my daughter on the phone in tears, having no positive reply from the electrician or building company she called Elesca, who informed her that an electrician can cut off the supply!! Looks like the help team need further training. They did add that permission should be sought first.  They have sent her a complaint form and have urged her to fill it in. I think I will be calling Elesca in the morning and finding out why they are giving wrong advise.

Who the hell do they recruit to sit on these helplines?

I have told her to report the matter to the police as criminal damage, and let Elesca provide his defence. She does not want to take it that far, but if it was me I would have no hesitation. 

"cutting off supply" is VERY different to cutting cables.

The Elecsa help desk is sometimes the ESC Helpline muppets - who know nothing

Sorry to hear they are still having problems.

What do the insurance have to say? 

Could it be worth having a word with your local MP?

I know the majority of forum users including myself don't like them very much but in matters like this they can be useful.

I have just sent them an email threatening legal action, I will be on the phone in the morning to find out which numpty works on the Elesca technical line who thinks an electrician can cut all the supply from a property.

Hi Kathleen,

I am so sorry to hear that the advise and guidance I have given has not been acted upon. There are now a number of avenues that you can take.

Firstly let us take stock of the facts.

There is no evidence of connections within the kitchen to suggest that he carried out proper diligence in making the circuits safe at the time of works. He has cut and left unsafe connections to the junction box for the kitchen lighting, again making them unsuitable for re-use.

All of this was done without your knowledge or consent.

I understand that you were made aware that the electrician had refused to work upon the existing circuits, and would not connect them. This is fine and well within his rights, however he has not disconnected them, he has cut them out of service in such a way that they can now not be used.

In English law you can now question the advise he has given, this is a TORT referring to professional negligence, clearly any court would find in your favour as he admits he has done no wrong and is entitled to do so. In my opinion he has acted outside his knowledge and expertise.

We can provide expert witness to establish this claim.

I also understand that he is now compiling a report as to the DANGER of the circuit, my advise and any law courts admittance is that this report would be void as it was not issued to you for reference before the works were carried out. As I have previously stated there is no evidence of any actions taken to complete the existing ring circuit when the kitchen was refit.

This means that bare connections are now embedded within the walls of the kitchen making it impossible to energise the circuit.

Actions I now urge you to undertake.

Make a formal complaint, the electricians scheme provider has 48 hours upon receipt of such complaint to act.

Make a formal complaint to the main contractor.

Consider police involvement as criminal damage has taken place.

Jointly sue for professional negligence as the advise you have been given is clearly wrong.

Any or all of these actions are within your rights and we can provide expert witnesses to establish each claim.

Should evidence be required we will have to rip out the new kitchen to take photo evidence of the existing circuits in the walls, if you are aware of where the old sockets were located this could be kept at a minimum, but would help to prove that due diligence was not taken.

We can carry out tests on the effected circuits that will show any comparison to those submitted and identify any danger.

I would hope that this would not be necessary and you get the matter resolved amicably, however our services are at your disposal for any court action that you wish to undertake.

Yours sincerely

That is a copy of the latest email I sent, she has forwarded it to all parties so it should be interesting to see what develops.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Manator

your email is a little confusing, as I'm unsure who it has been sent to, and who it has been forwarded to,

but, If this was MY daughters MiL then I wouldnt be making suggestions, I'd be hammering the dick that done such ****,

my first impressions are that it was an 'installer' rather than an electrician that performed these actions

@Manator could you just not fix the circuits yourself and chalk it up to experience. I doubt the old granny wants her new kitchen pulled out to try and prove a point.

@Manator

your email is a little confusing, as I'm unsure who it has been sent to, and who it has been forwarded to,

i thought that at first too, but after reading it again i would guess that he gave advice to whoever it was sent to, they have then ignored it and still not corrected the issue and now he has sent that letter

Update.

They have sent an independent electrician to the property who has conducted a detailed report. Not only did he confirm what I had said he also pulled the new install apart. He tested the circuits at socket points and found no faults on the circuit that could be seen. He confirmed that the fault must be within the kitchen walls were the electrician has not connected the existing circuit. He mentioned the section on the installation certificate which asks about the existing installation, why is it there? if not used.

The main contractor is now sending another electrician to rewire the property starting on Tuesday.

Latest posts