Enphase and SolarEdge

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Smith

Reaction score
Hello

The Enphase product IQ7 and now the IQ8 are micro-inverters. That means that each panel must be equipped with one and become independent. It is like having an inverter for each panel and this is it. Thus the name micro-inverter. It has if your panels would output AC.

https://enphase.com/en-gb/homeowners/home-solar-systems

SolarEdge:
I was told solaredge also has micro-inverters but when I try to find information I can only find devices which are optimizers which is quite different

1670833401039.png

https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/power-optimizers#/

It would appear to me that SolarEdge only supply optimizer and not micro inverter.

Is that correct or have I missed something?

Thanks

Hello

The Enphase product IQ7 and now the IQ8 are micro-inverters. That means that each panel must be equipped with one and become independent. It is like having an inverter for each panel and this is it. Thus the name micro-inverter. It has if your panels would output AC.

https://enphase.com/en-gb/homeowners/home-solar-systems

SolarEdge:
I was told solaredge also has micro-inverters but when I try to find information I can only find devices which are optimizers which is quite different

View attachment 14591

https://www.solaredge.com/uk/products/power-optimizers#/

It would appear to me that SolarEdge only supply optimizer and not micro inverter.

Is that correct or have I missed something?

Thanks
That's kind of correct, the solaredge system is still independent at each panel unlike tigo which is string based. It's a crossover between micro-inverters and tigo. Output to the inverter being DC rather than AC.

That's kind of correct, the solaredge system is still independent at each panel unlike tigo which is string based. It's a crossover between micro-inverters and tigo. Output to the inverter being DC rather than AC.
Do they have a similar issue with the minimum voltage required, like a typical string inverter?

any panel can be fully shaded, the rest will work as long as the sun shines on them

any panel can be fully shaded, the rest will work as long as the sun shines on them
ok but do you have the same limitation than string inverter ie have a minimum of panels per string (minimum voltage) for the inverter to start converter DC to AC?
As far as I can tell this solaredge optimizer is nothing else than optimizer like Tigo and a string inverter.

ok but do you have the same limitation than string inverter ie have a minimum of panels per string (minimum voltage) for the inverter to start converter DC to AC?
As far as I can tell this solaredge optimizer is nothing else than optimizer like Tigo and a string inverter.
It's not a tigo, that's a fancy bypass diode, it's the MPPT moved to the panels but outputting DC to the inverter. A panel if not in full sun will still generate from background irradiance. My own array, 3.3kw still hit 400w today from background irradiance alone, and as I posted the other day, 270w with a heavy covering of frost. So even if the 6 panels faced different directions I think the solaredge will fire up. If I remember correctly you can connect 20/25 panels per string, which would definitely work in all conditions.

Thanks all for all your information and time you spent trying to educate me.

I think I will stick with the Enphase.
My configuration for those who are catching with my project
5 panels on a wall facing West
3 panels on a lower roof facing SE
3 panels on a lower roof facing NW

1671092859478.png

1671092895603.png

I have not understood enough how SolarEdge will perform with such a layout if I were to put the 11 panels on the same string or even 2 strings.
I think I am safer with micro-inverters.

Latest posts