How long can we carry on?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does it mean you can wash the van on your driveway and can you do outside diy in the back garden or does that mean your in public in your own boundary its very unclear?

So in summary, there isn’t a clear enough message AND self employed people can’t afford not to work ........

5 million people plus partners and kids .....

NEED financial support from the state, like employees have been promised.

its that simple

So in summary, there isn’t a clear enough message AND self employed people can’t afford not to work ........

5 million people plus partners and kids .....

NEED financial support from the state, like employees have been promised.

its that simple

Yes it is.

I think there are loads of self employed out there that would RATHER stay at home and keep themselves, their families and everyone else safe - but struggle to see a way they can do it financially. 

Over to you Mr Sunak ....

If all governments of the world can find several billion dollars/pounds/euros etc overnight from a mystery banker, how difficult can it be to stop the financial industry altogether, so no one pays anything and no one accumulates any debt until it time to resume normal life after pandemic? Let’s face it money clearly has no value if they can magically make it appear overnight- who are they all borrowing from? 
this would alleviate all financial worries in an instant and we can then concentrate on what is important - life and loved ones?? 

This is the official guidance https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874714/Full_guidance_on_staying_at_home_and_away_from_others.pdf

"Closing non-essential shops and community spaces"  Does NOT say closing all industry altogether.

You can leave home to "Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home."  It does not say it has to be essential

I shall print that document and carry it with me.  Being an "electrician" has not yet been banned, and most of my work cannot be done from home.

I shall carry on with common sense.  I will go to fix the broken heating system, I will not just go and change a light fitting, that can wait.

IF anyone gets challenged by the police, please let us know what they say and the outcome.

I'd agree with that..

As I see it the basic underlining principal is to stop all the morons hanging around outside, or in town / shopping centres..

The fundamental guidance hasn't changed...

1/ Keep you distance from anyone who is not isolated.

2/ Do not go anywhere near vulnerable or already isolated people. 

3/ If at all possible work from home.

4/ Don't travel (leave you house), unless getting essential shopping or traveling to/from work where your work cannot be done from home.

5/ Where specific types of business are forced to close, funding/assistance 'should' be available to help employers keep as many staff as possible to avoid redundancies.

and my understanding is..

Most leisure, recreational, holiday non essential retail has been told to close.

Transport systems have been reduced.

Some manufacturing has chosen to close.

Other service industries, including those associated with construction have so far had no direct guidance?

and...

The self employed have been mentioned in numerous question sessions, but as yet there isn't much practical instruction unless you happen to be Both self employed AND ill.

Apparent healthy self employed, who do have existing contracts and work to do.. have to guess...

Should I / Shouldn't I /Should I / Shouldn't I /Should I / Shouldn't I /Should I / Shouldn't I  

:C

So if you go to a site where there are more than 2 people working, from more than 2 homes - you shouldn't be there ......

The vast majority of what we do is non essential , but if I was part way through a kitchen refit, a bathroom refit or a lived in re-wire I would take sensible steps to complete the work

Emergency call outs are OK IMHO

So I've just sent this email to my MP

"

To Mr Jonathan Lord,

I am writing to you in the hope that you pass this email directly to the offices of the Chancellor of Exchequer.

As one of the 5 million self-employed people, following the guidance of the Prime Minister of last night means that my income has now ceased unless I am responding to an emergency situation.

I can pay myself for April, but after April I will little money and many bills to pay.

The Government has made pledges for employees to support their incomes upto 8o% of £2500 per month, yet has also said it would be “too difficult” to do the same for the Self Employed – this I completely disagree with. When we last applied for a mortgage the provider requested I provided HMRC form SA302 which confirmed my income and tax paid.

Why can’t the Government used this data to support the Self Employed ? Then using the same calculation for employees send the self employed a cheque?

I await your response with interest"

So if you go to a site where there are more than 2 people working, from more than 2 homes - you shouldn't be there ......

That is not what the link that ProDave posted states:

extracts:-

1. STAYING AT HOME

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons.

● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible. 

● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

● Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person. 

● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household. 

3. STOPPING PUBLIC GATHERINGS 

To make sure people are staying at home and apart from each other, the Government is alsostopping all public gatherings of more than two people.

There are only two exceptions to this rule:

● where the gathering is of a group of people who live together - this means that a parent can, for example, take their children to the shops if there is no option to leave them at home.

● where the gathering is essential for work purposes - but workers should be trying to minimise all meetings and other gatherings in the workplace. 

That is not what the link that ProDave posted states:

extracts:-

1. STAYING AT HOME

You should only leave the house for one of four reasons.

● Shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible. 

● One form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

● Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person. 

● Travelling to and from work, but only where this absolutely cannot be done from home.

These four reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be minimising time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household. 

3. STOPPING PUBLIC GATHERINGS 

To make sure people are staying at home and apart from each other, the Government is alsostopping all public gatherings of more than two people.

There are only two exceptions to this rule:

● where the gathering is of a group of people who live together - this means that a parent can, for example, take their children to the shops if there is no option to leave them at home.

● where the gathering is essential for work purposes - but workers should be trying to minimise all meetings and other gatherings in the workplace. 

I agree with but so many people don’t. ...... too many selfish people around, and the IET must have helped write the government advice ..... as it’s as woolly as their own documents 

I think all we can do is apply common sense and expect to get challenged.

As long as you can justify why you are travelling e.g my job today to fix someones non working heating, then I suspect you will be okay.

There is a rumour on another site, and it is just a rumour, that the self employed are going to be eligible for 80% of the average of their last 3 years declared earnings.  If I find a source that states that as a fact I will post it, otherwise treat it as a rumour only.

There is a rumour on another site, and it is just a rumour, that the self employed are going to be eligible for 80% of the average of their last 3 years declared earnings.  If I find a source that states that as a fact I will post it, otherwise treat it as a rumour only.

ive seen something about that and it appears to be true, but not seen anything official just yet

Is that just self-employed that the averaging works for? Be interesting to know about how it works for those on the books, I understood it as 80% of basic wage, but for those of us who are contracted for 42.5 but do more like 55 it will be quite a significant difference

If that comes true I will be happy to stay at home for 80% of my average earnings over the last 3 years.

There still needs to be some guidance of what we should so if someone phones and says all their electric is off.  "sorry I am not allowed out" does not sound like the right response.

What about landlords?  If my tenants can't afford it, will I also get 80% of that?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all we can do is apply common sense and expect to get challenged.

As long as you can justify why you are travelling e.g my job today to fix someones non working heating, then I suspect you will be okay.

As well as the possibility of being challenged why you are out,

There is also your duty under Health & Safety Law not to endanger anyone else or yourself whilst undertaking your work.

So I've knocked up a quick A4 risk assessment form with a copy of the Government coronavirus travel/work guidance..

Plus the date and address of the proposed work..

Then statements confirming no known knowledge of contact with persons with any virus symptoms..

And that we are in agreement that the work can safely be undertaken adopting a minimum 2m social-distancing..

And if either party exhibits any sign of symptoms up to two weeks following the work visit, they will let the other know immediately.

Then a declaration signature bit including contact telephone numbers..

Print two copies one for me one for customer..

Don't enter the property without a signed copy.

Keep on file in case of later repercussions from either side.

Customer was quite happy with that arrangement at first job this morning...

off shortly to this afternoons appointment.

(as a footnote, these are old customers, appointments previously booked, not new-unknown quantities..

and both jobs are fault rectification, not additions or alterations.  I'd probably say no, or wait if it was a brand new customer).

Guinness

There still needs to be some guidance of what we should so if someone phones and says all their electric is off.  "sorry I am not allowed out" does not sound like the right response.

Its a judgement call IMHO ..... if its all off then a site visit surely is necessary.

I've "resolved" an RCD trip issue this morning using wattsapp!