How long can we carry on?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been contacted by a number of the local wholesalers - they are all saying they can deliver .... I told each of them that I will only go out to an emergency ..... so not to expect much from me

You all need to read the details of any income protection scheme from the government very carefully. There is no scope with employees to do some work, you either send them home to do nothing, or pay them reduced hours (with no top up from the government).

Hypothetically if I had 10 members of staff and only work for 5 I have to pick 5 and put them in the scheme and have 5 work full time. If I put all 10 on half their hours, they just get half their earnings from me.

I can see a situation where if you went onto the scheme you would be unable to do ANY work and not be able to respond to emergencies.

I'm looking forward for getting paid to do nothing if I can wrangle that somehow? Like any gov scheme it will be black and white, especally as it's been thrown together in a hurry, perhaps you need to re-discover cash??  :innocent

If the 5 million and their families / dependents are hung out to dry, there will not only financial issues , but riots on the street and a huge number of votes and seats lost.

Ironic that parliament is on the verge of closing whilst no protection, either financial or against the virus, is being afforded to the many self employed involved in construction - in fact Matt Hancock is encouraging it ....

I suppose it’s too much to hope that the CPS’s will offer their guidance 

Not really, NAPIT have been in touch a lot (like a lot of companies!).

Latest online advice is from 19th March https://www.napit.org.uk/news/article/COVID-19-Communication-Update .aspx

But yesterday's email reflected the announcement on Monday. I've copied it below.:

In the lead up to the Government announcement on Monday 23rd March 2020 where Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced "people should only leave their homes to go to work where it is absolutely necessary", we have been and will continue to be in industry wide discussions to ensure practical, useful and accessible support for our members during these challenging times ahead.

Message from Mike Andrews, NAPIT Group Chief Executive Officer

We recognise that the increased restrictions on movement are going to have a significant impact on your ability to operate. We also realise that the detailed impact will vary from one member to another.

We have been evaluating options on how to maintain a level of operation that you need, while providing the kind of flexibility that is needed at this time.

We will contact you either at the time your assessment visit would normally be arranged, or at the point in time when you would normally renew. We will need to know whether you are able to operate and what action you want to take towards certification / registration.

The approach may vary, but we expect we will be able to consider:

postponement of assessment, remote assessment, spreading payments over longer periods, registration holiday if you are unable to pay .

The exact impact of this on membership status and our future approach depends very much on the duration of the current Government advice, and approval of approaches by our regulators.

Wherever possible we aim to retain your status on Government and scheme registration lists and, even where this proves impossible your membership of NAPIT will remain active. We plan to maintain support services to you, although these may be more restricted than normal. 

NAPIT membership support

We will be continuing to support our members in the weeks ahead in the following ways, as well as keeping you up-to-date with any further news relating to COVID-19.

Accessible technical support - our technical helpline team are all set up to work from home and will be ready to welcome any calls of a technical nature as normal

Technical webinars - we will be releasing a new webinar schedule and increased frequency of CPD technical webinars for our members in the absence of our events

Online technical articles and resources - we will be increasing the amount of technical content accessible to you over the coming weeks

NAPIT Forum - utilise the NAPIT Forum to communicate to fellow members or query the NAPIT Team.

Customer service - The NAPIT team will be on-hand to talk to over the phone should you have any questions or queries in regards to your membership

Notification system - will be available to you when you need it.

Advice for members carrying out "essential" work

Today on BBC Breakfast Michael Gove, Minister for the Cabinet Office, addresses essential working for the construction industry:

"At present, installers have been instructed that they must now only attend emergency appointments which allow people to stay safe in their homes, however if you have a none essential job booked in, this should not be undertaken. Construction sites will stay open but social distancing should be adhered to at all times".

During the next three weeks, only “Essential” work should be undertaken. Therefore, unless you are required to:

Attend or are requested to respond to an emergency call out;

or make safe a current project in which you are involved

You must take precautions to protect yourselves, your clients and the public with whom you may come in contact before attending and when attending and consider;

That the nature of the work is "essential"

Government advice on how to protect yourself and others,and implementing social distancing before leaving the home to carry out essential works. Read more here

HSE advice on suitable Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).

Guides to access government financial support

This afternoon the Chancellor Rishi Sunak has said he is looking into financial measures to help the self-employed in "intense detail", but would not commit to a date when more help would be made available. In the meantime see below:

Loans

On 17th March, the Chancellor announced an unprecedented package of Government-backed and guaranteed loans to support businesses.

Tax Helpline

New HMRC helpline launched to help businesses concerned about paying their tax due to Coronavirus.

General Government health advice for employers and businesses on Coronavirus

As the situation is changing on a daily basis, employers are advised to also check the latest Government, HSE and NHS guidance on dealing with and preventing the spread of Coronavirus.

The Government have released guidance for employers and businesses in regards to COVID-19. This is continually updated with updates.

To help you consider the commercial risks and to what extent the current UK and global COVID-19 situation will impact on your ability to operate, the government offer advice on business continuity plans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Denmans  ask you to phone in and your order will be placed outside the door for you to pick up  .     The small trade counter area at my branch is sometimes heaving .  

I asked the manager why they were still open and apparently it's because Rexel is a 'key supplier' to businesses like the NHS and MoD so therefore Denmans is a 'key supplies provider' and the staff are 'key workers'.

'Essential' work will not be needing so many supplies now tho eh!

elecsa are after as much money as possible... membership expired, i told them i wasnt renewing but they still continue witht their begging letters... and from todays email

·         Voluntary suspension is an option if you are experiencing a lull in work availability (£60.00 charge)

If the 5 million and their families / dependents are hung out to dry, there will not only financial issues , but riots on the street and a huge number of votes and seats lost.

And who are they going to lose there votes and seats to as the rest of them are no different they are all out to help the never worked not the guy who pays tax to make sure the never worked are looked after

"elecsa are after as much money as possible... membership expired, i told them i wasnt renewing but they still continue witht their begging letters... and from todays email

·         Voluntary suspension is an option if you are experiencing a lull in work availability (£60.00 charge)"

They are extracting the urine. 

So you've got little or no work, and to suspend your membership they think that a charge of £60 is a reasonable idea 

I think NOT