My Practice Board by Mrs Streetlighter

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky2013

Reaction score
Hi every1, thought i would share with you my project that i started tonight!

As a bit of practice for me as im wishing to go into training to become an electrician streetlighter helped me design & begin to setup a practice board for me!

here are some pics of how i have progressed! only started it at 6pm this evening so i dont think iv done bad TBH, what ya reckon........

i started out by mounting the Consumer Unit in the central of the board.

PracticeBoard009.jpg

then started setting out where i wanted some sockets, and a switched fuse spur. i also positioned a metal clad light switch and a cooker control unit.

PracticeBoard010.jpg

PracticeBoard011.jpg

PracticeBoard012.jpg

then i began surface clipping 2.5mm T&E cable and forming it around some corners to enter into the back boxes via knockouts.

PracticeBoard013.jpg

PracticeBoard014.jpg

the 1st circuit is a Ring Final.

once i had clipped the cable and stripped the cores, i then terminated into the sockets and replaced socket faces.

PracticeBoard015.jpg

PracticeBoard017.jpg

PracticeBoard019.jpg

and this is the final part untill i do my 1st continuity tests before terminating into the board

PracticeBoard021.jpg

i am very pleased with myself with this as iv never had any electrical training in the past, aside from my 2377 PA Testing :Salute

Thanks for looking i was so pleased with myself i wanted to share it with you all!

THEY ARE PLASTIC THEY DO NOT REQUIRE BONDING!!! although i will be bonding the metal clad one when i come to put the circuit in!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was made at 22:43 ----------

so what do you think guys, not bad for a splitarse ay!!!

Grrrr you pendantic booger! heehhe yeh ill go round the board with me lil terminal driver line em all up and take each individual piccy and measure it with me compass and see how many degrees it is out by :p

and can you put the spirit level across the slots to line the screws btween the points of fixing on the accessories to make sure they are dead level to each other :slap

what does mr streetlighter say to the fact your using your kitchen as an electrical workshop :slap

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:19 ----------

and break the boxes by over tightening! ;)
no dont need to over tighten, just tighten nip up ;) it has a 50/50 chance on the horizontal to be square to each other ;) :p

Hia Mrs Street (You are both (hubby and you) are going to hate Me now). Please take this is constructive, its in no way a put down. You need more clips on your straight runs. If possible, use the nail as a means of support, ie, have the nail on the lower of the two axis when on a straight run (it was just something I was taught that I have taken with Me). On top of that, do you have access to a ceiling rose? if you have, they can help get uniform bends in cables. Did you mount the DP water heater switch the correct way up? :) As I said, and many know, I am VERY anal, so please don't think of this as a reprimand, more a case of tips.

AndyGuinness

Grrrr you pendantic booger! heehhe yeh ill go round the board with me lil terminal driver line em all up and take each individual piccy and measure it with me compass and see how many degrees it is out by :p
A compass is a device used to ascertain direction with reference to magnetic north.

A pair of compasses is used to draw circles.

I think you are thinking of a protractor!

:D

so its either tightened just right before you nip up, or you havent tightened it enough so you need to nip up to have it tightened correctly.!

its either tight or it isnt,

would you torque something then just give it a bit more?

that could destroy some serious bits of kit, this is why things have torque settings, so they are tightened to the optimum, not tightened, then over tightened by 'nipping up'

Hia Mrs Street (You are both (hubby and you) are going to hate Me now). Please take this is constructive, its in no way a put down. You need more clips on your straight runs. If possible, use the nail as a means of support, ie, have the nail on the lower of the two axis when on a straight run (it was just something I was taught that I have taken with Me). On top of that, do you have access to a ceiling rose? if you have, they can help get uniform bends in cables. Did you mount the DP water heater switch the correct way up? :) As I said, and many know, I am VERY anal, so please don't think of this as a reprimand, more a case of tips.AndyGuinness
Thankyou for the idea of using cieling rose to creat uniform bends i never thought of that, and i will in future use this technique :D

still got to pop a few more clips onto the cable i wanted to get the cable layed and the circuit established then secure it considerably more then it is already.

The DP Switched fuse spur is mounted correctly and the correct way up :D

i dont consider this to be a reprimand whatsoever andy, as i said im in no way shape or form an electrician and im more then willing to take advice, criticism, and everything else! it will all help me in the long run.

A compass is a device used to ascertain direction with reference to magnetic north.A pair of compasses is used to draw circles.

I think you are thinking of a protractor!

Thats the one, thankyou apache, brain was engaged in circuits this evening and was not able to remember the correct name for the item was meant!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:55 ----------

what does mr streetlighter say to the fact your using your kitchen as an electrical workshop :slap ---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:19 ----------

no dont need to over tighten, just tighten nip up ;) it has a 50/50 chance on the horizontal to be square to each other ;) :p
The whole house is an electrical workshop i turn around and there is something electrical related!, i dont call it a house anymore i call it a glorified branch of city electricals. along with being a franchise of Makita & Bosch. that just so happens to house a reptile aswell! at times im worse then streetlighter, iv just made him help me test my circuit and its like nearly midnight

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:58 ----------

the boxes are tightened just right, tightened slowly by hand and then slowly and gently tightened a bit more so the box is secure, no cracking noises of the boxes or shearing off :D so all good in da hood on that score!

looks smart that apache! the next on the list is

1) im going to learn how to strip, gland, and terminate SWA

2) placing of conduit and trunking

3) completing my 3 circuits that im going to have on the board

4) energising the board

5) live testing (under supervision of course from streetlighter)

iv taken a real shine to electrics and have developed a very keen interest in it all and i have picked alot of it up very fast just by watching streetlighter, common sense, and studying! sheesh iv been reading the big red bible for FUN!

i wanted to spend a bit of time developing my knowledge on certain things before i go in for my 17th Edition.

i thoroughly enjoyed doing my 2377 even tho i didnt even do the course, i sat exam only and i spent weeks before hand reading, studying and testing myself and streetlighter testing me and setting me little challenges. he even bought me a PA Tester for my birthday! and i got 100% on the exam 1st time! i really get stuck into something when i put my mind to it! but considering i normally work in the Security Industry..... and im normally a very low self esteem kinda person, i even have to admit, i had fun doing it, and i am proud of myself!

i spent weeks before hand reading, studying and testing myself and streetlighter testing me
Kinky. Sandra found that Vaseline applied to the nipples once all insulation testing finished soothed things somewhat.

hhahahhaahhaha! V funny :p gawd now i got a mental image of someone smothering vaseline and PA Testing themselves :S

Latest posts