Neutral earth fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the justification for removing the rcds and fitting the mcb?
He Attended a neutral earth fault &couldn't be arsed to find it,just put a follow up back & that's how I found him out by the recall tech reporting it to me

So you know one of your colleagues is putting people at risk. Do you not think you have a duty of care to your company’s clients?

If something goes tragically wrong you will also be carrying the can. The balls in your court, what do you want to do?

I had a foreman similar to that years ago .   He'd go out to a breakdown on a control circuit say.......    put a 2BA  screw in place of the control circuit transformer  fuse  , sun to the fault ,  transformer melts ...back to office  ,order a new one  then make sure  I was sent with it and I'd end up having to  trace the fault  ,  while he said stuff like  " Dunno why he's so long , its only replace the transformer  ...I've been and sorted it once "      

So you know one of your colleagues is putting people at risk. Do you not think you have a duty of care to your company’s clients?

If something goes tragically wrong you will also be carrying the can. The balls in your court, what do you want to do?

I had a foreman similar to that years ago .   He'd go out to a breakdown on a control circuit say.......    put a 2BA  screw in place of the control circuit transformer  fuse  , sun to the fault ,  transformer melts ...back to office  ,order a new one  then make sure  I was sent with it and I'd end up having to  trace the fault  ,  while he said stuff like  " Dunno why he's so long , its only replace the transformer  ...I've been and sorted it once "      
Already started a disaplinary I'm just after the finishing touches,I can't find anymore bs7671 regs to throw in the mix..also totally agree with you 

You won't find anything to help you  in the Regs  in this case TBH    and fault finding anyway , I don't  know of any codes of practice .  

Some sparks get blinkered , set in their ways  and after doing it for a long time  it becomes the right  way .   

I can remember a guy who wouldn't buy 3 core flat cable    ( 3 c  +E  ) 6243Y  for fans .    Twin/E   use the bare E as the third conductor .  :C   

Hi all,

Just an update he's got no case to answer,our HR phoned the nic & they said it was just bad practice.why do we bother doing a proper job then ??

So carrotted off at the minute. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you actually contacted the people responsible for the writing the regs (the IET)  not the side act? 

Is this guy a direct employee or a sub contractor? 

Are you responsible for him? 

Is he adhering to company standards? 

HR contacted a outside verifier & phoned the nic eic & they said they couldn't sack him because no one was injured & he could contest it  & win (direct employed & a quatity contol officer with 35 sparks under him.

I'm not responsible for him he's my equal 

Absolutely gutted mate,I wanted to teach him a lesson about work ethic but now it looks like I'm wrong.

youre not wrong. he is and so is NIC. removing safety devices because he cant be arsed to find the fault is not an acceptable method. if it was done on machinery or something then HSE would probably take you to court

Surely this is down too your superiors to install work ethic and standards into this chap. 

Alternatively when you return to his next job you report it as a dangerous condition and refuse to reenergise the circuit without correct circuit protection. Tell your superiors that he is an equal too you so you don’t expect to have to rectify faults that he should be capable to find and resolve himself. You are not there to carry him. 

Latest posts