Neutral earth fault

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we kind of agree @Murdoch, but not on exactly how it is documented.

To reinforce this from my point when I was teaching & examining C&G, I was told no LIM on a cert, OK on a report, but NOT on a cert.

N/A is a valid entry, because, for example, installing a cert in an office would not include a special location from Part 7, so would attract N/A in those areas of the schedule of inspections.

If the DNO fuse of a supply is sealed and not accessible, then officially we are not at liberty to remove this and verify it, so we can make an educated guess & put NV (N/V) for not verified, or simply put NV, N/V and add a note that the fuse carrier was sealed and thus not accessible.

Whilst this is a limitation, it is not supposed to be recorded using LIM IYKWIM.

Hum ..... so you have changed a fuse board and you can’t access the connections to , say the oven .... there is no isolator .....what do you put for Zs ? And polarity ?

Just a quick heads up lads, the whole of the electrical section has put a no cofidence vote in on him.

Let's see where this goes?

An example, say an office is being re-arranged, some filling space is being removed (they file everything electronically now) to make space for some extra desks, this requires a lot of rows of lighting (each on their own cirucit) to be extended by one fitting each. So you'd do X amount of minor works to cover each circuit worked on, but you'd have to mark the L-N  insulation resistance box as lim, as to disconnect all the fittings on X rows to carry this test out is clearly non sensical and risks introducing extra faults, as well as probably taking a god day to do.
where you have many ballsts/ LED drivers on a cct that would give false results, I would test LN-E ie link L and N then test for insulation to earth to get a result, possibly test at 250V rather than 500V. But you can get a test result, so LIM really isnt acceptable though you may wish to issue the cert stating the limited amount of work done to the cct / limited inspection of the cct being modified. Either way you still have a legal liability to ensure a cct you are modifying is safe to do so

Latest posts