New Build?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonor

Reaction score
A client has asked me put an estimate in for a flat conversion. The building is an old Victorian farm building, but has been used for the last 25 years or so as a retail property. The flat conversion will be in the former offices upstairs.

The question is, even though it was re-wired 10 years ago, how would the building regs apply? Would it be classed as a new build and thus have all the latest regs applied(part L and such)?

Thanks.

I would say it would be classed as a refurb.

Either way all latest regs will apply I'd have thought.

I would think so too. Part P, B, etc applies, but for instance, the height of sockets as prescribed in Part M, the sockets currently are just above the skirting board.

What I need clarifying is this: old building, new dwelling. What applies?

height of sockets on rewire can be no worse than befor, but would u be happy with sockets that low? and if its a change of use not sure weather that counts as existing.

u could give the council a quick ring see what they say

Tricky one this, the guidance states,

" If a dwelling is re-wired there is no requirement to provide the measures described in Part M, providing that on completion the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance."

Might be worth a quick call to building control.

Bez

Tricky one this, the guidance states, " If a dwelling is re-wired there is no requirement to provide the measures described in Part M, providing that on completion the building is no worse in terms of the level of compliance."

Might be worth a quick call to building control.

Bez
are u watching me :D