pre loop in wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok then, I get the '3' bit , but why 'PLATE'? I have mused over this methodology/nomenclature for over 40 years! Best I can come up with is a corruption of the word 'plait', but what do i know?... :coat
Wild stab in the dark here, but maybe cause the ceiling rose resembles a plate.... :coat

were the connectors plated metal at one point?

here's a photo of an old "Octopus" wiring box. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the box with the lid off! Wet Fish

100_0919.jpg

here's a photo of an old "Octopus" wiring box. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the box with the lid off! Wet Fish
its SPIDER , how could it possibly be octopus? all that water would blow even a 3036 ! :eek:

as for dog bits, they really were for stranded cable, wouldnt put them near solid though, so cant understand these new ideal connectors at all, maybe Im just too old, but I dont like 'em on solid.

Cos if you look carefully, it says "Octopus Wiring System" on the label. Anyway, octopus gives you eight outputs, a spider only gives you six. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I never did house bashing as an apprentice but I know it was referred to as 3 plate as opposed to looping the feed at the switches as with singles. I'd guess its to do with almost every ceiling rose having one in, one out and one to the switch.

A local council adjacent to B,ham did not allow it in their specifications for new housing . They used the term " 3 plate" , they thought it was dangerous to have a permanent feed at light fittings . Just the personal beliefs of one man I would guess .

And then of course there was the single and earth method popular on new builds. Black single with earth run to all light fittings, (An earlier version just had Black with NO cpc) red single with earth run to all switches, then red with earth from switch to light fittings. Twin and earth was used for strappers between 2way switches with red single and earth for feed and switch wire.

Wall lights could be interesting, N fed from one end then twin and earth looped from light to light and switched Live fed from OTHER end of run. This kept the minimal number of cables at the fittings.

No junction boxes used and no bunch of cables at light fittings.

And then of course there was the single and earth method popular on new builds. Black single with earth run to all light fittings, (An earlier version just had Black with NO cpc) red single with earth run to all switches, then red with earth from switch to light fittings. Twin and earth was used for strappers between 2way switches with red single and earth for feed and switch wire.Wall lights could be interesting, N fed from one end then twin and earth looped from light to light and switched Live fed from OTHER end of run. This kept the minimal number of cables at the fittings.

No junction boxes used and no bunch of cables at light fittings.
Oh how I remember the days, fault finding was a nightmare. It was also around the time when you could not run horizontal between accessories, sooooo UP across and down OR DOWN across and up so you could have almost 5m cable between two sockets that were only a metre apart! FFS you even had to put the length of cable on the Installation cert WTF! The 'good old days?' the only good thing was the apprenticeships! Beejayzus I learned some stuuf in them days. Improving IR on Pyro with a piece of string, fishing [now barred by the Sontarans or somebody] down cavities by saving the lead sheath on lead twin cable, keeping green sleeve in your 4r$e pocket in winter so it was always soft, making grommets out of T&E sheathing...must go now as my carers are due in to bath me.......... :coat

You just make me laugh, probably because it would appear your about the same age as me and it often reminds me of my misdemeanour's.

You just make me laugh, probably because it would appear your about the same age as me and it often reminds me of my misdemeanour's.
56 and fading rapidly [NOT]...still think I am capable of doing what i did when I was 20, THEN I realise there is a better/quicker way.

Still gadget mad, never grown up and hopefuly never will. Would like to do a 100m Dive on my 60th birthday [and most probably will]... :coat

Not wanting to hijack this thread, I actually did a job that was next door to a diving shop. Whilst there I did think of a childhood dream of doing a decent dive in clear waters. Funnily enough I thought of you but quickly slapped myself.

Personally I don't use the term "3 plate"

I just say "loop at light" "loop at switch" or "Spider"

My preference is for loop at switch, much easier when you get "fancy" light fittings and of course for those wretched downlighters.

What happened to 2 core & earth with 2 red cores for the switch drop from "loop at the light" I've never seen the modern equivalent with 2 brown cores?

Latest posts