pre loop in wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
learnt that on my first site work

'can you wire this up as 2 plate'

what ?

after they had stopped laughing they explained it

Personally I don't use the term "3 plate"I just say "loop at light" "loop at switch" or "Spider"

My preference is for loop at switch, much easier when you get "fancy" light fittings and of course for those wretched downlighters.

What happened to 2 core & earth with 2 red cores for the switch drop from "loop at the light" I've never seen the modern equivalent with 2 brown cores?
I always use twin brown saves using that nasty sleeving.

Just had my first ever brainwave, well I think it was a brainwave.....three wires [mains in, mains out, out to light] = 3switch plate = PLATE....ipso facto 3 PLATE...well it's a thought. albeit a carp thought... :coat
Kerchy ...the phrase " Clutching at straws" springs to mind.... :coat

Personally I don't use the term "3 plate"I just say "loop at light" "loop at switch" or "Spider"

My preference is for loop at switch, much easier when you get "fancy" light fittings and of course for those wretched downlighters.

What happened to 2 core & earth with 2 red cores for the switch drop from "loop at the light" I've never seen the modern equivalent with 2 brown cores?
Dave,

Brown/Brown in common use down here in civilisation , don't use it myself anymore due to cost and mistakenly using it for feeds TBH.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png

Dave,Brown/Brown in common use down here in civilisation , don't use it myself anymore due to cost and mistakenly using it for feeds TBH.
default_tongue%20in%20cheek.png
I used it by mistake once, never used it since prefer to use sleeving.

Oh how I remember the days, fault finding was a nightmare. It was also around the time when you could not run horizontal between accessories, sooooo UP across and down OR DOWN across and up so you could have almost 5m cable between two sockets that were only a metre apart! FFS you even had to put the length of cable on the Installation cert WTF! The 'good old days?' the only good thing was the apprenticeships! Beejayzus I learned some stuuf in them days. Improving IR on Pyro with a piece of string, fishing [now barred by the Sontarans or somebody] down cavities by saving the lead sheath on lead twin cable, keeping green sleeve in your 4r$e pocket in winter so it was always soft, making grommets out of T&E sheathing...must go now as my carers are due in to bath me.......... :coat
You forgot the stick of Pyro compound in your pocket too, in winter. Ahhhh !! The memories ...the vile stink of rancid tallow ...until the adoption of the Pipe Fitter's threading compound in tins .

And having to make your own nipples because the gaffer was too mean to buy them .

And cutting your own circular locknuts off a coupler ,'cos he was too mean to by those too.

Oh don't get me started !!! :red card

I once spent an entire saturday morning threading 2 lengths of 3/4 conduit to make nipples for the following week. Dies were as much use as an Estate Agent. Tallow.....TALLOW! we used to dream of tallow, best we had was a stick of beeswax! Were we put off by this lack of equipment? Too fricking true we were but who could we tell? My Dad was the company owner and I was treated worse than the Staff! Did it do me any harm?...well I'm still a Spark and always will be, thanks Dad.............. :coat

You forgot the stick of Pyro compound in your pocket too, in winter. Ahhhh !! The memories ...the vile stink of rancid tallow ...until the adoption of the Pipe Fitter's threading compound in tins .
I remember keeping Pyro compound in my pocket and getting a row from my journey man, when I took it out and it was covered in swarf must have been from cutting and dressing cable tray. Do you still get Trefolex for conduit threading, I did like the smell of Trefolex, but I also liked the smell of cutting and filing Tufnel and that will probably result in an early grave.

Kerch, your post reminded me of something else, most sparks had a Nipple Stick, threaded , like you, by the apprentice . Cut one off when needed.

Made me think of something else too . On a lot of jobs , new building, say a hospital or a school we had to lay conduit on the shuttering ply before the reinforcing steels were laid. This was because there would not be a suspended ceiling but the concrete slab would be plastered as the final finish.

This meant we would be on site with the construction workers as soon as the first floor was cast . Working from the drawing you had to work out where the rooms would be and where all the lights had to go . Lay the tube with extension rings on the boxes to lift the tube off the shuttering and leave a short switch drop through where the wall would go. Stuff paper in the boxes to stop the concrete filling the conduit.

Nightmare getting our stuff in the right place before concrete was poured .

The other method was with beam and block floors where the conduit was laid on the floor above then you knocked the block through where your light was to be and use loop-in boxes .

They still used 2" (50mm) conduit then, for sub mains, say, up the risers with the conduit being the earth. That was fun trying to thread that , no ratcheting stocks and dies like the fitters.

PS And don't mention Enox Cutters.....the worst tank cutters ever made, but all you could get .

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts