self certifying

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steptoe

of course Im wrong, ask my wife™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is it possible/allowed/legal to register with a body such as NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT etc to self certify work of your own while you are already registered to such a body via your employer.

is it possible/allowed/legal to register with a body such as NICEIC/ELECSA/NAPIT etc to self certify work of your own while you are already registered to such a body via your employer.
Yes.

Your employer is registered, and you can be registered. You are not registered via your employer, your employer is registered. NIC\ELECSA\NAPIT etc... have no idea who you are specifically so not a problem.

I think you can only register a company so you would need to register yourself as a company as self employed. And before anyone says anything else you can be both employed and self employed at the same time.

thanks guys, just been wondering,

as Im a QS for a company, and NICEIC state that the QS must be a permanent full time employee of said company to qualify.

was considering maybe try another scheme(if it will be acceptable for my purpose) and therefore avoid the conflict.

ian, I do know, I already am both, thanks for the heads up tho. :)

You can be a permanent full time employee and also self employed and registered with them as yourself.

yes, done it and they never need to know.
I can't see how you can do work in your own time, register with a scheme, advertise and your employer not notice!

Can you opt out of the contractor search on the website?

Also it would depend what your contract says - some have a clause preventing you doing any work of a similar type, some within a certain distance etc etc.

with a big company its fairly easy patch. In 6 years of working for them, i spoke to the boss twice, once to say hello, once to say goodbye.

I think you can only register a company so you would need to register yourself as a company as self employed. And before anyone says anything else you can be both employed and self employed at the same time.
iirc, you can register as an individual

with a big company its fairly easy patch. In 6 years of working for them, i spoke to the boss twice, once to say hello, once to say goodbye.
Ok - fair point. Round here everyone knows everyone else.

I can't see how you can do work in your own time, register with a scheme, advertise and your employer not notice!Can you opt out of the contractor search on the website?

Also it would depend what your contract says - some have a clause preventing you doing any work of a similar type, some within a certain distance etc etc.
depends who you work for patch. i used to work for council/morrison. i was part p reg for best part of 2 years before i left. used my signwritten astra or sign written van to/from work daily

Aye, and I assume they knew you did work in your own time and it wasn't forbidden in your contract?So it's ok!
everyone knew about it. and most of the foreman knew i was planning to leave as soon as i finished my apprenticeship. no idea what my comtract said, but either way i was not in competetion with them so there wouldnt be a problem

Im really not worried about work knowing I do work, in actual fact I done a job for one of the managers at his house cos it had to be a saturday and the firm were charging almost double for me after the mark up.!!!

I just need to know if NIC will accept me twice.

maybe give them a ring beginning of week.

I can't see them having a problem with you being a QS for your employer and a self employed QS

What they don't allow is a QS being a part time employee,,, as you will be a full time employee of both "companies" there shouldn't be a problem!

thanks guys,

as it is I think most of the work I will be getting forwarded (via a gas fitter friend)

would specify NICEIC as required.

I really would be needing this type of work to try get my foothold into being self reliant and giving up the steady(albeit poor) income I already have).

Interesting. Any idea why that is? Elecsa have a nice lady (who's name I can not recall) who loves phoning people/companies and explaining that nic is not the only way.

Good luck anyway whatever you decide.

Trueish. Although just because your contract may contain such a clause does not necessarily imply that such a clause is indeed lawful, and if it is unlawful then it is illegal for them to enforce such a clause.

Latest posts