Tradesman4u.com

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there a function for choosing your maximum area your willing to quote within ???? ie 15 mile radius ????

Dave,I am really heartened that you are taking on board the comments that we are making and I feel that if you carry on like this then you could have the makings of a good business.

Hopefully one that we will all be able to gain from.
Cheers Sidey, I'll make sure this is done right for us all as best as possible. Keep the suggestions coming.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 16:16 ---------- Previous post was made at 15:59 ----------

is there a function for choosing your maximum area your willing to quote within ???? ie 15 mile radius ????
There is a function for this. You can select a personal mile radius you are happy to travel, anything from 1 mile to a million. Its driven by google maps and goes off both a straight line distance and also a distance by road equation. Where I am on the coast if I put 30 miles radius in I end up with job leads in Barrow and Liverpool which by hovercraft is technically within those distances but by road is considerably more. Hopefully ours is a touch more sophisticated than that.

That sort of distance could also be construed as being in outer space :p AndyGuinness
Ha Ha 30 miles vertical! I've had some customers that I suspect have been from another planet to be honest!

On a slightly different note, is the name Tradesman4U a bit sexist? We do have some female electricians and no doubt other trades have female workers as well?

Doc H.

On a slightly different note, is the name Tradesman4U a bit sexist? We do have some female electricians and no doubt other trades have female workers as well?Doc H.
Trade Ladies 4U?

Hmm, I think that might be a slightly different type of company:O

I hope its not sexist. I never bloody thought of that. Tradeladies4u..... Thats surely gonna bring up a website in thailand isn't it.

On a serious note tho there are a lot of people who, for various reasons, prefer a female tradesperson. (not that reason). Perhaps it could be implemented in somehow, an option for a female trade. Its definately worth a think about.

Fog on the TyneROTFWL

And its all mine
---------- Post Auto-Merged at 21:15 ---------- Previous post was made at 21:13 ----------

I hope its not sexist. I never bloody thought of that. Tradeladies4u..... Thats surely gonna bring up a website in thailand isn't it. On a serious note tho there are a lot of people who, for various reasons, prefer a female tradesperson. (not that reason). Perhaps it could be implemented in somehow, an option for a female trade. Its definately worth a think about.
I agree mate it almost certainly is worth a thought!

There are quite a few very competent female sparks out there.

We have a couple on here and I know one or 2 others and not in my neck of the woods either as it happens.

Yep definately, not far from me theres a woman who advertises as a 'lady decorator'. From what I can tell she does really well. My intention with the name wasn't to exclude women in the trade, far from it, it just never even crossed my tiny mind!

Its now on my ever increasing list!

Now you are realising that it was a good idea to come on here and sponsor the forum aren't you!

I hope you are finding us a good & helpful bunch!

Cheers again for this. There's some really good suggestions, I'm not too sure how we could work it in to give the customer more tick box style options like you mention. The homepage needs to have this is dropdown menu style (and of course you can only select one in that example) as it wouldn't look particularly attractive, I don't think, to a potential poster to have it in the same format as when a tradesman registers.

Perhaps an option could be that if a customer selects 'electrician' in box 1, then if in box 2 they select 'Internal power and lighting' a third dropdown box could appear which would then have, Full Rewire, Showers, Cookers, New Circuits etc to drive it down to a more accurate description. I'll get my head around that I'm sure.

One thing that does happen is that the full contents of the description box gets emailed to you in the lead email so providing they are fairly explanatory in that box you will get the full description, which hopefully will make your decision a bit easier on whether you want the lead or not. I know some other websites, literally give you a tiny tiny snippet of the job and expect you to buy it or not based on a 1 line description. I do agree that customers are notoriously bad a describing a job though. I could make it so that the description box requires a minimum number of characters before it is accepted, to promote a more thorough description. I still think a customer description is the best way to make a decision over tick boxes, so its a case of getting them to do this properly.

I'm going to have a mouseover/flyout appear when they hover their mouse over the description box, which will pop up a message explaining to them the needs and benefits of providing a thorough and accurate job description.

I am actually a partner in a plumbing and electrical contractors too mate so I'm giving myself an -F for not having more options in the electrician tab. We all know gardeners should have way more categories really!

I will get my head round the best way of doing this though.

Dave
Righto Dave....

Back to this categories thing...

I appreciate it could be quite complex and a bit of a dog

My List has just exploded!!

I've printed all this up and will set to work on it. There's some superb suggestions there, I'd already pulled together a load of other trade categories that aren't listed (stuff that won't be of interest to you on here mind) some are easier than others. Think adding type of client and type of property will be quite easy. I'll add them to the second page of job posting. Hopefully adding the additional categories should be reasonably straight forward too although most likely a bit more time consuming. Obviously I'm no web programmer so I forward all this to my man and get him to do these things one by one. I'm trying to spoon feed him a little as I don't want to massively overload him too much. I would say by end of next week I'll have all/most of this done.

I've got some other things going in that will be worthwhile to us, so I'll update the thread when they are live.

Might also add in a free lead for all forumites who are members. That should make you tight fisted lot smile for once! :D

Dave

Might also add in a free lead for all forumites who are members. That should make you tight fisted lot smile for once! :D Dave
PMSL :slap - He knows you all so well in such a short period of time. :^O

I was going to mention the "Female Tradespersons" too.

I think this thread should be moved into our Private "Tips & Tricks" forum.

We don't want other companies looking at it and taking the ideas suggested here, do we?!

Give me the nod, Dave - and I will move it. You can start another thread in that forum (I will change the permissions for you to do so now) and I will leave the OP here and move all the posts into the new one.

Does that sound good, Dave?

I think this thread should be moved into our Private "Tips & Tricks" forum.We don't want other companies looking at it and taking the ideas suggested here, do we?!

Give me the nod, Dave - and I will move it. You can start another thread in that forum (I will change the permissions for you to do so now) and I will leave the OP here and move all the posts into the new one.

Does that sound good, Dave?
By all means move it over to there no problem. As you say these ideas should be kept back for us. Cheers for thinking of that.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was made at 12:27 ----------

Would it be worth having a tab for potential customers to say that they are not sure of the price for something at all? I have walked away from people asking Me to do a board change for