twin and earth used outside

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It amazes me that you're all debating this reg, this quote, this etc. Go out there and look at the stuff that's been installed outside, then make a real educated opinion after seeing it's state whether you believe it can be used or not. Sheesh, you guy's make this trade far more difficult than it needs to be.

Did anyone see Cowboy Builder last night?

There was a piece where they entrapped a builder into doing notifiable work (putting up an outside light - PIR Controlled) watching him with hidden camaras.

Then the only thing they could say was illegal about it was :-

- he did not have part p reg

- USE OF T+E outside and unprotected.

They hung him out to dry for it

Martin

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 08:36 ---------- Previous post was made at 08:11 ----------

Just made a call to Prysmian Cables.

Thier view is that it is OK to use but not best practice especially the white (grey has better UV resistance).

Martin

Did anyone see Cowboy Builder last night?There was a piece where they entrapped a builder into doing notifiable work (putting up an outside light - PIR Controlled) watching him with hidden camaras.

Then the only thing they could say was illegal about it was :-

- he did not have part p reg

- USE OF T+E outside and unprotected.

They hung him out to dry for it

Martin
didnt watch it, but depending where he got his supply from, then it may not be notifiable anyway

It was taken from kitchen supply so was notifieble but as for using TW/E outside cannot see what the problem is after all it was no more than a foot of cable. It was an old program though so you may have seen it before.

I've often found than T&E will break down under UV from being outside so any other method would be prefered.

Often seen T&E used on flat roofs for overhanging outside lights and its been blistered and cracked with heat damage. As someone posted earlier experience tells you not to use t&e outside.

Hi-tuff works for me

I agree with the above and am against using it outside, but there is no legal reason it seems to not do it if you take into account the environmental factors and make allowances for them. And you take into account its likelihood to be impacted by anything, especially ladders when used at height.

I use that new Hi-tuff stuff NYY cable.

Martin

From an "Observation " only point of view ( Non scientific) , Twin/earth appears to be OK away from direct sunlight .

I also recall from somewhere that black flex was impervious to UV affects.

Hey guys,

Flat T&E can be used outside but will degrade pretty quickly becoming brittle due to changes in weather and temp, the sunlight being the biggest culprit. Personally I would use Hi-tuf or tuf sheath which is an XLPE insulated PVC bedded non-armoured multicore cable. Basically SWA without the steel. This will withstand the weathering and give a degree of mechanical protection. Also easy to terminate. XLPE Insulated, PVC Bedded and Tuf-Sheathed Non Armoured Cables :: Doncaster Cables - Manufacturers and Suppliers of Cables Meeting British and European Specifications

default_good%20luck.gif

Regards

T&E is not really suitable for the outside environment due to it have low mechanical protection vaules

E.g impact, vermean

Which are all really important when installing a cable in any location. Selection of the right install method and cable is so important

T&E is not really suitable for the outside environment due to it have low mechanical protection vaules E.g impact, vermean

Which are all really important when installing a cable in any location. Selection of the right install method and cable is so important
Notwithstanding, costs, customers budget, aesthetics, length of run, height on wall, direction wall is facing, (direct sunlight shade etc..)

etc

etc

FACT:-

a few meters of T&E run to a light fitting on a shaded external wall of a house will most likely last 20+ years without....

exploding.

electrocuting someone.

disintegrating.

tripping power from the whole installation.

looking excessively ugly or costing an arm and a leg!

a competent electrician should be able to evaluate the application of any accessory or cable he/she is installing..

and meet the customers requirements without going overkill on the safety.

whereas a long run low down a wall to a shed with 6+hrs per day of direct sunlight, would not be a wise location for T&E!

NOT all electrical work is 'Black & White'..

you can't do that but you can do this..

and if you do the other you must be wrong!!!!

Some T&E is at greater risk in the loft or under the floorboards from Mice, Rats, Squirrels etc...