Ventilation

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky999

Reaction score
Evening

Been told by a builder to install a couple of fans in a few bathrooms, he has been told by BC that you can vent them out into the main soil stack.

I have never heard of this before any of you or is it aload of old tosh?

Cheers

Yeah they were my thoughts along with the bosses to deke. Will have to ask tomorrow as im off there to make a start on the rewire.

I would vent through normall way batty its just that he phoned my boss to say that we could do it and we just both looked at each other in amazement.

I would vent through normall way batty its just that he phoned my boss to say that we could do it and we just both looked at each other in amazement.
But its your boss thats signing cert so if s..t hits fan so to speak he will be liable.

But its your boss thats signing cert so if s..t hits fan so to speak he will be liable.
This isn't an issue with 7671 so any certs signed will not be relevent. I bet someone has got the wrong end of the soil pipe here and thats not what the BCO means. Suggest you confirm that with them as if it needs to be fixed, they may want you guys to pay to fix it.

So the point of u-bends in toilets and sinks is to stop the bad smells comming back in and then you go and hook up a direct link to one. Seems really dumb to me.

I have a similar sceario in an attic conversion, and stack pipe has been approved for ventilation - obviously at a point above the tide mark.
Is that not for ventilation of the soil pipe? Not for the room?

Might work if You had a one way valve set up between the fan and the soil pipe in the hope it would keep out nasty smells from the room needing ventilation . If building control allow venting via the soil pipe then there has to be a satisfactory way .

Thought that the opening at the top of the soil stack had to be above the highest opening window in building so that any methane gas rising up the stack can be vented to the atmosphere above building, if connected the outlet of the fan to the stack methane gas could enter building when fans are off.

Latest posts